Live Rock from another tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boricua1213

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am probably going to get live rock from some elses tank. I want to use this live rock for my sump, to replace my bio balls. Should I do anything before adding the rock to the sump? Should I break the rock into little pieces?

My tank already going with live rock and fishes. He is also giving me anemones and mushrooms. Everything looks healthy in his tank.

Thanks again,

Rick

I would break it up only if you need to to fit it in the sump....otherwise leave it nice size pieces as one day you might want to use it in the main tank or even another tank.

I agree woth Hara...LR rubble is perfect for sumps. Wrap the rock in a towel, put on eye protection and wack the heck out of it with a hammer. Add t to the sump. By doing so you will incereae the surface area that benefical bacterial can colonize on. Keep it fully submerged in the sump.

If you are going to put an anenome in your tank then the tank needs to be a mature tank of 9-12 months IMO. That gives your tank time to stabilize.

I bought the tank used the tank has been going as a FOWLER tank for apprx 2 yrs. Yester day picked up anenome he moved from the rock he was attached to last night and is attached to another. He seems OK. He is open and full of color.

I got a sump question though. So now that I'm going to use LR in the sump, should I take out some of the bags I have in there? I got PhoZorb and Purigen.

How often should I clean Protein Skimmer?

LR rubble is the way to go...nature knows best!

I agree with Hara, if there are some nice pieces I would try and save them but the others do as Lando suggested!

Back
Top Bottom