Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Live Rock from the Gulf

I live in Fl along the Gulf Of Mexico. Im a scuba diver and was wanting to know could I jus take some of the rock i get when im out diving and put it in my tank because it would save me lots of $$. Also could i do the same thing for the live sand also. Might be a dumb question but id rather be safe than sorry

Old 05-13-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pretty sure that maybe illegal unless you have a permit or something. I personally wouldn't want to disturb the balance of the reef/ Ecosystem.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You shouldn't for several reasons. You shouldnt disturb the natural ecosystem, and you could bring home hitch hikers or parasites that wipe out your whole tank. Far too risky as far as I'm concerned. If you need to save money, just buy base rock.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

or take the rock from the gulf and be evil (which i'd do) and dry it out. kill off any hitch hickers and re cure it
Old 05-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Our waters are taxed already, polution, reefs dying, oil spills...
Old 05-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
assuming it isnt illegal (not sure) you could just simply dry it out and let all the critters die off
Old 05-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Leave the rock that's in the ocean alone. Why kill something that is innocent and living in/on it's home? By introducing the rock from the gulf into your tank, you may be introducing loads of nasty hitch hikers and other organisms that may just die when being introduced into captivity. Others may flourish in your tanks and take over. Not to mention the tons of pollutants that may contaminate your tank when added. Cough up the few extra bucks and go grab some base rock and some live rock/rubble to seed the base. Simple IMO.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm with you thominil, we have done enough damage already. This is not a cheap hobby, anyone that gets into for any period of time knows that. It is fun, addictive, rewarding, and extremely expensive. I am guilty of cutting corners, I will buy used equipment, or fix up something that was free, but I won't go as far as to take rock and sand. Please, save your money and buy it. It takes longer that way, but it makes the process much more rewarding.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its only illegal in a few spots where coral reefs are located ... being said with everyone saying leave the rock in the ocean... where do you think your live rock came from and a very good chance your baserock? To say leave the ocean alone you should have any corals or fish in your system unless your buying ORA. Which I highly doubt you are. So next time you take your butt to ur lfs don't buy any fish,
coral or even fish food cuz that's where it came from... kngsht I would.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

There is some beautiful rock that comes from the gulf, down towards the keys. However there is too many hitchhikers in the gulf. Aiptasia is covering most of the rock from those areas.

Personal collection is not illegal in Florida, and there's plenty of rock, and coral skeletons out there.

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com