Live Rock from the Gulf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kngsht420

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I live in Fl along the Gulf Of Mexico. Im a scuba diver and was wanting to know could I jus take some of the rock i get when im out diving and put it in my tank because it would save me lots of $$. Also could i do the same thing for the live sand also. Might be a dumb question but id rather be safe than sorry

Pretty sure that maybe illegal unless you have a permit or something. I personally wouldn't want to disturb the balance of the reef/ Ecosystem.

You shouldn't for several reasons. You shouldnt disturb the natural ecosystem, and you could bring home hitch hikers or parasites that wipe out your whole tank. Far too risky as far as I'm concerned. If you need to save money, just buy base rock.

or take the rock from the gulf and be evil (which i'd do) and dry it out. kill off any hitch hickers and re cure it

assuming it isnt illegal (not sure) you could just simply dry it out and let all the critters die off

Leave the rock that's in the ocean alone. Why kill something that is innocent and living in/on it's home? By introducing the rock from the gulf into your tank, you may be introducing loads of nasty hitch hikers and other organisms that may just die when being introduced into captivity. Others may flourish in your tanks and take over. Not to mention the tons of pollutants that may contaminate your tank when added. Cough up the few extra bucks and go grab some base rock and some live rock/rubble to seed the base. Simple IMO.

I'm with you thominil, we have done enough damage already. This is not a cheap hobby, anyone that gets into for any period of time knows that. It is fun, addictive, rewarding, and extremely expensive. I am guilty of cutting corners, I will buy used equipment, or fix up something that was free, but I won't go as far as to take rock and sand. Please, save your money and buy it. It takes longer that way, but it makes the process much more rewarding.

Its only illegal in a few spots where coral reefs are located ... being said with everyone saying leave the rock in the ocean... where do you think your live rock came from and a very good chance your baserock? To say leave the ocean alone you should have any corals or fish in your system unless your buying ORA. Which I highly doubt you are. So next time you take your butt to ur lfs don't buy any fish,
coral or even fish food cuz that's where it came from... kngsht I would.

There is some beautiful rock that comes from the gulf, down towards the keys. However there is too many hitchhikers in the gulf. Aiptasia is covering most of the rock from those areas.

Personal collection is not illegal in Florida, and there's plenty of rock, and coral skeletons out there.

yeah, quarantine to extreme measure that would usually be expressed with a vulgar statement. I have a friend who's parents had a reef tank when he lived in florida. One day they bring home some strange fish, didn't know what it was (he doesn't remember, it was like 15 years ago). Next day, all fish are dead, and the new one exploded.

Last edited by a moderator:
No not everything is ORA cultured that I have bought, but it was legally captured by someone permitted to do so. I didn't just go take whatever I wanted. If you want to help the reef here in the gulf, then go capture some lion fish, I know that is legal and they are considered a pest issue in FL.

Here are Florida Fish and wildlife Conservation Commissions (FWC) rules and regulations about collecting aquarium fish, live rock and coral. And it plainly says "The harvest of live-rock, substrate with living organisms attached, is illegal unless harvested at a licensed aquaculture area."

Florida Coral Rules and Regulations

Marine Life and Tropical Ornamentals

Recreational Harvest of Marine Life (Aquarium) Species

For stony corals, fire corals and sea fans any collection is prohibited and the collection of black corals and other octocoral species is restricted. Also you can only collect live rock from a licensed aquaculture area. So picking live rock up from a rock anywhere is illegal.

The rules on aquarium fish are pretty lax. You need a fishing license and there are size requirements for certain species of fish and you are limited to certain number of fish per person per day. There are also gear restrictions to keep in mind.

These rules and regulations are there to protect these precious resources. As someone who lives in Florida and getting a Masters in Marine Biology, it think it is our job to use our knowledge of reefs and their inhabitants to educate those that are clueless. It is also our responsibility to practice our amazing hobby in a way that will protect and preserve our reefs.

If you really want to collect something from Florida, collect a Lionfish. They are a menace here and ruining our reefs.

Here are Florida Fish and wildlife Conservation Commissions (FWC) rules and regulations about collecting aquarium fish, live rock and coral. And it plainly says "The harvest of live-rock, substrate with living organisms attached, is illegal unless harvested at a licensed aquaculture area."

Florida Coral Rules and Regulations

Marine Life and Tropical Ornamentals

Recreational Harvest of Marine Life (Aquarium) Species

For stony corals, fire corals and sea fans any collection is prohibited and the collection of black corals and other octocoral species is restricted. Also you can only collect live rock from a licensed aquaculture area. So picking live rock up from a rock anywhere is illegal.

The rules on aquarium fish are pretty lax. You need a fishing license and there are size requirements for certain species of fish and you are limited to certain number of fish per person per day. There are also gear restrictions to keep in mind.

These rules and regulations are there to protect these precious resources. As someone who lives in Florida and getting a Masters in Marine Biology, it think it is our job to use our knowledge of reefs and their inhabitants to educate those that are clueless. It is also our responsibility to practice our amazing hobby in a way that will protect and preserve our reefs.

If you really want to collect something from Florida, collect a Lionfish. They are a menace here and ruining our reefs.

Couldn't have said it any better, welcome to AA! It will be great to have someone with your knowledge on this forum. Although this whole topic of not taking things at the beach is like :deadhorse: around here.

Couldn't have said it any better, welcome to AA! It will be great to have someone with your knowledge on this forum. Although this whole topic of not taking things at the beach is like :deadhorse: around here.

Haha I know :). No one could answer whether it was legal or not, so I figured I would find out.

Thank you for clarifying, I couldn't answer as to the legality of it, but I did know lion fish are pests down here. lol

Back
Top Bottom