Live Rock got cold in shipping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beefcake

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I ordered some live rock and when I received it the box and rock were a little cold. 8O I have put it in my tankafter about four hours nitrates and nitrite are elevated a bit (not bad) Of cource I am expecting a mini cycle but am concern about the overall health of the LR after its unfortunate chilling. It didn't freeze.

Has anyone had experience with this happening?? The rock still has lots of color on it.

Welcome to AA!! :D :D :D How cold is cold? Where did you get it? Did it come with heat packs? Temp outside at time of delivery?

I big batch of mine got cold last year. Don't worry it should recover.
Is the tank empty, or are there fish in it?

it was about 30 deg f outside, but I was there when UPS delivered, The box wasn't left in the cold, Kinda makes me mad I told the guy shipping it it was gong to be cold but he didn't add heat packs ohh well. This is my first SW tank so I am not sure what to expect. (at least with the live rock)
I have been doing lots of reading for everything else

Thanks for the welcome, I am sure this won't be my only question

I think you should be fine. Where did you order it? Do you know it it needs to be cured? Keep stoping by and asking questions. I wish I have AA when I first started my tank.

I had that happen last year and there was quite a bit of die off in the shipping box. I cycled the LR outside of my main tank, using water main tank water in the container and new sw in the main tank (15-20 gallon changes in a 125).

Day 1 was not too bad but by day 3 it was rather smelly... went through a full cycle.

Personally unless my tank was barren of life and the LR was first thing in I will always cure LR outside the tank first. Prevents some unwanted nasties from getting into the main tank too (mantis shrimp, crabs, etc.)

I have it it my main tank right now My levels are up and I have done a 20% water change and that has helped quite a bit. I do have one clown in there, he is still eating and is active.

My PH was lower, is that a common occurance? After I changed the water it moved back up a bit. What else can you do to increase or decrease the PH by very small amounts.

My setup is only in a 5g nano (I knowits a rough starter tank however its at work and I monitor it all day :)

You should expect die off on any rock that is shipped to you regardless of the weather. Cure it outside your main tank and it will be good to go into your display.

Back
Top Bottom