Live Rock has arrived....How's the Aquascape? (Pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteCloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got my 40lbs of live rock yesterday from Liverocks.com (20lbs Key and 20 lbs Gulf). Was supposed to be here on Tuesday...but they had to move it to Thursday due to the weather up north last weekend. They nicely called me and appologized...but they did not want their reef creatures to become a statistic.

I had taken Tuesday off from work for the delivery...but I could not take Thursday off. My wife would have to haul the 40lbs in and put it in the tank. I checked the website frequently with the DHL Waybill number and called my wife frequently. Finally...I saw that DHL had delivered it...and hour ago! I called my wife...who did not hear DHL come...as they just put the box in the snow and left.

I called her...and she quickly brought it in...she told me that she saw no heat packs as I had hoped...and it was only 5 degrees in Maine yesterday...I guess it was too warm in Florida to add them. She opened it up..and the first thing she saw was a BIG BLACK HAIRY WORM that was about 4 inches long...it was at that point she said she couldn't do it...so I decided to come home for 30 minutes....and just unpack it....

The rock..looked like...well...gray rock. A little smell to it...but less than I though. Was nicely packed. The sizes were perfect! It was like I was there with Mike and Zack and pointed to the pieces I wanted. I carefully picked it up...and placed it in the tank. After I put the rock in the tank...my wife said "why did they spray paint the rock?" It was not until I had it in the tank when I discoved the colors...orange, pinks, purples. It was great! There was a brittle star still moving in the bottom...and I rinsed the plastic bag clean. I put in one rock...SNAP..SNAP...SNAP! "We have a snapper", I said...fearing a Mantis..I saw a Pistol Shrimp come out the the rock...(but I found the/a pistol later dead in the tank). Very little was dead despite the cold. Crabs...snails...and yes...EVERY AIPTIASA ANEMOME had to live! I did not aquascape much...as all I had time for it to put it in the tank.

When I came home...the rock looked entirely different all ready. The Anenomes numbers TRIPLED! I have at least 30 Aptaisa (5 BIG and the others quite small) ...the first invert I will add to the tank...4 Peppermint Shrimp for Aiptaisa control. I am thinking I need to get some "Joe's Juice" for the big ones. I CAREFULLY moved the rock...hoping I would not get stung...and I did not. I could not believe how clear the water became overnight. My CPR Bak PaK that I thought was not working well....has given me about a cup of skimmate in 24 hrs!

I am wondering what everyone thinks of the Aquascape. I would LOVE any recommendations or suggestions to change it:

Attachments

• full_sw_shot.jpg
    full_sw_shot.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 279
  • left_side_134.jpg
    left_side_134.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 308
  • right_side_130.jpg
    right_side_130.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 261
looks pretty good !
Great Job !
And I don't think they can sting you...
I may be wrong...
The Shrimp wo'nt eat the big boys...

Wow! Looks awesome!. I'll be doing the same thing shortly - a 20/20 mix from LR.cm. Did you call them to discuss the order or did you order online?

Midiman,

Actually...I just PM'd Zack here on the AA forum. Told him just that I wanted a 20/20 mixed order...he gave me a price and I paid him via PayPal. I could even pick the days in advance I wanted it shipped. If you want a mix...I would send him a PM. The Website Cart option seems to give a higher price when you are ordering a mix, Zack has also mentioned this to me also.

I couldn't be more happy! I saved 40% from any LFS in the area and got rock like I have never seen before. I have never seen rock this good in any LFS in my area. Not to mention the life.

I could have done without so many Aiptasia Anenomes...but it comes with the territory. It was funny...I was SO excited at first by the anemones...until I found out they were more of an "enemy" than an anenome. Hopefully a few Peppermint Shrimp and some Joe's Juice will take care of that problem.

I LOVE the fact that I used the hirocks.com base rock so all of the live stuff can stay on the surface.

WC

P.S. I just tested my Ammonia after I added the rock...still registering 0 (zero). I cycled the tank FIRST with the base rock and a cocktail shrimp with trying to have has little of a cycle as possible when I added the live rock to perserve the life on the rock. Has been 30 hours...and my plan has worked so far!

WC

Well done!...especially the pre-cycling. You'll be rewarded with lots of unusual life which will require sorting the good from the bad later.

As you've placed the rock on top of the sand bed, don't be surprised if the rock tends to settle into the sand a bit. In fact, you might want to consider placing some small pieces of PVC under the rocks to prevent this.

Looks really great!

Glad to hear everything went ok. I'm excited for you and me because I'm about to order some myself.

lando said:
I especially like the lamp in the tank :wink:

Thanks...I wanted them to have something to read by...just in case their 192 watts were no quite enough. Sorry...my first pictures of the tank..but next time...the lamp will be turned off! 8O

Thanks for the great comments on the tank! I am finding more life ever day! Before bed I site there with the moon lights and a penlight looking for new stuff!!

WC

I've had my lr for about six weeks now, I still find new stuff everyday. Have fun watching. It looks great!

Sorry...my first pictures of the tank..but next time...the lamp will be turned off!
Don't worry, I have a ton of pics of my reflection in the glass of my tank of me taking pics of my tank...

Back
Top Bottom