live rock has hard white plaque

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phish7740

Aquarium Advice Activist
so got two batches of LR from two different LFS one batch has white plaque on it, so this is dead coroline(sp) algae that has dried and died? right?

and people say to "brush" or "screwdriver pick" it off. well i got some off but most of it wont come off. what do i do. do i keep picking at it now or will it get softer over time of the cycle?

thanks for your help
sorry if this is a common question, i searched for it and couldnt find the answer?

been cycling for 1.5 weeks now 100gal 85# LR

I personally wouldn't worry about it. It is just calcified remnants of coraline algae. The stuff you want to scrub off is blackish/brown and stinks. The calcified stuff is no problem, it will eventually get covered in new coraline growth.

cool thanks i was not looking forward to removing that, i found some brown "mud" and removed that

yeah got some the other day with white stuff, and some along time ago. The stuff that had it all over now has the best corline growth would you belive, and it looks awsome now. So throw it in and play the waiting game.

Back
Top Bottom