Live rock help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LSB

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi my first post be gentle :) i have kept freshwater fish for years now and have decided to take the next step and try marine fish. After looking over info. reading books and other info, i have decided to set up a 75g Fowlr tank.... i have the tank but need the rock looking on the net i found some second hand that claims to be live and just want to know if it is or if i should drive the 40 odd miles to look. Or is it just worth getting "fresh" from my local shop.
Sorry if its a silly post:)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=120606282296

The page won't load for me, maybe because I'm at work. "Live" just means it has been cycled and hosts the beneficial bacteria that processes ammonia and nitrite. It also can have hitchhikers on it like starfish or what-have-you.

Personally I have never bought bulk LR, I always buy dry "base rock" and cure it myself. That way I know there are no pests or anything bad in the rock. You also don't buy other peoples algae issues. Its also a TON cheaper :p

Its a personal preference, if its been in a nutrient rich base of SW for more then 3 weeks, its probably live. You will get some die off from shipping though and will most likely see a mini-cycle when you get it.

Check our articles section for some good reads on cycling and curing rock.

Welcome to AA!

I won't comment on the dry vs live rock, I think jimbo touched on that well enough (unless the OP has more questions about it).

I also cannot load the page, but chances are if it's from an individual that it'll likely be better than buying live rock from an LFS - assuming it's been taken care of.

Back
Top Bottom