Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2013, 01:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Live rock... how can i know

ok so i have had my tank up for almost a month and i was curious on how to know my rock has live bacteria... can someone tell me a tip or how to know.. my tank has cycled and i have 6 fish in it and they are stable. just wanna know if my rock i alive

Old 03-29-2013, 02:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Live means that you have microorganisms living on it. If you look closely, then you will see tiny critters moving on the rocks.

If your tank can sustain your livestock with no ammonia or nitrites, then you have adequate beneficial bacteria in your tank (lots of them on your rocks).

The above is 2 completely different things about your tank.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am sorry but having critters on your rock does not make it live, All live rock is is rock with beneficial bacteria in it. If you want to make sure you rock is live take a raw shrimp and place it in the tank for a day, Test you ammonia and see how long it takes to come down. If your ammonia goes up to 4 and stays at 4 or maybe drops to 2 over the course of a day your tank isnt cycled yet. Onse you can convert ammonia within 24hrs you are good to go.

You arnt talking about different things at all you are correct in thinking that live rock means you have Beneficial bacteria in the rock. Beings Benficial bacteria is the only thing we care about in our rocks is the reason we call it live rock. Most live rock in the hobby is just dry rock that has been cultured in a huge tub and then sold as Live rock for a huge primium. They turn rock thats 2$ per/lb into 10$ per/lb
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Beneficial bacteria also exist in the freshwater world - it exist after cycling a canister or hob filter.

If they are the same, then a hob filter or canister is live in the freshwater world.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

yes, because there is live bacteria on the rock. the name live rock is to just make it possible to discribe the difference between live and dry rock. making it Live and capable of processing ammonia.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBs View Post
yes, because there is live bacteria on the rock. the name live rock is to just make it possible to discribe the difference between live and dry rock. making it Live and capable of processing ammonia.
Once live rock has been taken out of a tank a d has time to dry .
Can it be made live again ?
I recently purchased 100 lbs or rock ( dry out of a tank )
I haven't put it into my 70gal yet
Old 03-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmckoy View Post
Once live rock has been taken out of a tank a d has time to dry .
Can it be made live again ?
I recently purchased 100 lbs or rock ( dry out of a tank )
I haven't put it into my 70gal yet
Yes it can, All that needs to be done is have it placed in water again and taken through a cycle or added in with other live rock and bacteria will spread to the dry rock and return it to its usefull live state.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

Yes it can, All that needs to be done is have it placed in water again and taken through a cycle or added in with other live rock and bacteria will spread to the dry rock and return it to its usefull live state.
Thank you .
I was waiting to cycle this tank .
Instead of dipping them I have them soaking in sea water .

I have another question
I am running this tank hopefully on live rock and a skimmer .
But I do have a canister ( emeim 2217)
Should I leave the ceramic octagonal pieces , little brown dog food looking pieces , and filter floss in there or should I take some of it out and run it empty with only filter floss?
Old 03-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I cycled my dry rocks and its sitting in my coral only tank. There is no outside life from the ocean in it, just beneficial bacteria and corals. Its easy to get confused using your terminology. "live" means life from the ocean, which is why live rocks at LFS are always more expensive then regular base rocks. If they could cycle all their base rocks, theb would anyone pay the same price for these kinds of rocks as the real live rocks from the ocean?

Just my opinion for easy understanding.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance View Post

I cycled my dry rocks and its sitting in my coral only tank. There is no outside life from the ocean in it, just beneficial bacteria and corals. Its easy to get confused using your terminology. "live" means life from the ocean, which is why live rocks at LFS are always more expensive then regular base rocks. If they could cycle all their base rocks, theb would anyone pay the same price for these kinds of rocks as the real live rocks from the ocean?

Just my opinion for easy understanding.
So what is the difference between live and base ?

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com