Live Rock. How wet to move?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddeans

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Tomorrow, I am going to my LFS and buying another 50lbs of live rock. They are holding some for me that is already all purply. Here is my question though. Last time they just gave me the rock in a Styrofoam container. It was in a tank, and they pulled it out to put in the container. He said that it was so coarse that it would be fine. With getting the purply rock, I am wondering if it will be safe to be out of the water for an hour.? That's how far my fish store is from my house.. I don't want to waste the money for it to die on me.

What you SHOULD do, is put wet paper towels, or a wet towel, or wet newspaper over it, just so the rock will stay moist. That's the way they transport live rock that is ordered online, and is shipped. This will keep it moist, and keep the maximum amount of life possible for being out of the water.

I live 30 mins from mine, as long as you keep it wet it should be fine. Just bring a towel with you and wet it, placing it over the rock til you get home. Try to put a cover over it as well. That's what I would do.

i would cover it in wet towels..put it ina container..put my name on a shipping label and send it to my house..lol....

Thanks so much. I just didn't want to worry about the purple stuff dieing. Hopefully the extra 50lbs will help the tank cycle smoother.

good luck i wish i could afford 50lbs..i cant get one..lol....im switching my 125 g oer soon

Cycle smoother? As long as you have one single ammonia source that is constant, your tank will cycle just fine. Adding or subtracting live rock from the tank, won't really affect the way things cycle. As long as there is an ammonia source, it will cycle. If you add a lot of rock, your ammonia readings will be higher. If you have a little bit of rock, your ammonia readings will be lower. Same thing goes if your using shrimp to cycle your tank. More shrimp added, more ammonia. Little amount of shrimp added, little amount of ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom