live rock in a new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwrmma

Aquarium Advice Activist
i just bought 70 lbs of base rock from hirock, and i have 100lbs of reef sand, and a SG of 1.023. 90 gallon tank with a maxi jet 1200 ph, a rio 600, a fluval canister, and an aquaclear 500. i just ordered 45 lbs of live rock from liveaquaria.com, and it should be here on friday. what should i do to prepare for it, and as far as my tank cycling, can i put the rock right in the tank? ( 2 days shipping ) and when should i put the dead shrimp in to cycle or is the rock enought to cycle? can i put the shrimp in now? when do i buy my cleanup crew? what is recommended for a cleanup crew? i know that once my cycle is over, i do a 50 % w. c. and then i should be good to go to put fish in, but what to do in the mean time? thanks for the help. i am also planning on ordering some rubble for the 2 filters, so i should have a total of about 125 lbs live rock once the base rock gets seeded in about 4 to 6 months.
thanks in advance!

If this a brand new tank go ahead and throw the rock into the tank. The die-off will help jump-start the cycle. Adding a shrimp should be fine as well. You can expect to have a 4-6 week cycle prior to adding any livestock. You should not have to worry about a clean-up crew until the cycle ends.

what am i looking to get as far as a clean up crew? and does anyone have any thoughts as far as lighting the live rock during the cycle? will the shrimp quicken the cycle or is it just a 4 to 6 week period no matter what?
thanks again.

A clean-up crew is generally some reef hermits and various snails. You do not need to light the LR during the cycle. Keeping the photo-period limited can help control algae and diatom outbreaks. A strong cycle will take 4-6 weeks. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

Back
Top Bottom