Live Rock in my Sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warnerg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a 14 gallon bio cube and i heard that bio balls are not as good as live rock rubble in a sump. if i do this will i need a light over the rubbler? ill also have at least 14 lbs of live rock in my tank (outside the sump). and what is anyones take on marco algae such as cheato?

Personally i would replace the bio-balls with live rock rubble. Over time, the bio-balls can become a nitrate factory. The live rock rubble does NOT need a light over it to function properly.

My take on chaeto is that it is a great part of a saltwater aquarium. It needs very little pruning, and does not need 24/7 lighting in order to thrive and do its job of nutrient exporting. If you plan on keeping it in the same chamber as your live rock rubble, then you will need a light in order for the chaeto to sustain itself.

I used caulerpa in my tank the entire time it was running. It was really beneficial and served as a breeding ground for copepods and bristleworms.

Gotta agree with Flake. Caulerpa is another good nutrient exporter, but it is very invasive. And it's near impossible to remove if you ever want to because it grows inside all of the holes and crevices in the rocks. It also needs 24/7 lighting and some pruning otherwise it could go sexual and turn your water milky white. But if you're ok with all that, i'd say go for it.

Back
Top Bottom