live rock in qt tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squidlyme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm sure this is a goofy question....but would it be ok to set up a qt tank with live rock....then move the live rock into the main tank when needed?
Also...if I had to medicate in the qt tank could the LR be put back into the qt tank safely if I wash it out? I would change the filter media also.
It's one of those plastic/acrylic Nanocubes.
Sorry, I know it's goofy...just wondering anyone's thoughts on this before I buy the LR.

You can do this but once it is treated you would not be able to add it back to the main as it cam leach the meds(copper) into the main. You would also not be able to put any inverts a tank that has treated rock in it. The rock will absorb the meds and leach them out later down the line.

The best thing to do is as stated by foma2000 dont take the chance. Use plastic plants and rocks for qt decor if the pvc isnt enough for you.

The LFS guy I deal with has some LR rubble in his. The problem with a QT tank is maintaining an ammonia source while there are no fish in there. It seems to me the last thing you want to do is put a new, stressed fish in a tank where he'll face elevated ammonia levels from his own wastes. Any ideas here?

:?: Is this where the "rent-a-damsels" should end up?

Keeping the QT water cycled was the reason I asked about using LR in there. I don't have any LR in my main tank...that's why I would move it back and forth when adding/removing a fish. When I first started looking at aquariums I was told coral skelton and LR was just a visual preference.
I liked the bright coral look....so I never bothered to read about LR.(until I found this site)
So I was thinking the LR would keep a QT tank ready. I was just afraid of any medication absorbing into the plastic/acrylic then bleeding back into the water and getting in the LR. I'm sorry, I know it seems like a dumb question. I don't think I'll risk it.

The LR will give a biological filtration base but the tank would need a source of ammonia. Without the source of ammonia the bacteria would starve and die off. Initially the dieoff from the LR will give the needed ammonia but once it is cycled you would need another source.

You can easily keep the QT up and cycled by simpley adding food to the tank a few times a week. As long as there is something continually being introduced that creates ammonia ie.. rotting food, it will sustain the bacteria.

Using PVC pipe and possibley a HOB filter with a sponge or floss will provide a decent amount of surface area for bacteria to populate. You don't need the rock in this regard. Since there should only be one fish in the QT at a time (with the exception of mated pairs) the bioload will be light and denitrification won't occur anyway so water changes will be a must. The surface area's of the plastic and filter materials would do just as well as rock for nitrification purposes.

Cheers
Steve

I place a new filter media cartridge in my sump. When I need it I pull it out and put it in the filter on the QT. I also have used Cyle to provide extra bacteria. This way it is loaded with the bacteria I want and there is no cross contamination of meds into my main tank. When I am done, I throw it out andd put another new one in my sump.

I like the idea of the filter in the sump, except for the possibility that it will be a nitrate generator if left in there all the time. Do you leave it in all the time or just when you are planning a new arrival?

midiman said:
Do you leave it in all the time or just when you are planning a new arrival?
It can be left in the sump for quite a long time as long as it gets rinsed once in a while. If you don't it should be added no less than 2 weeks prior to adding a fish to the QT. Less and you risk problems but 7 days will do in a pinch.

If your in "aqua"sition mode, it's best to leave the QT set up and cycled even when your a few weeks between fish additions. Much less of a headache to feed a fisless tank than the tear down/set up each time.

Cheers
Steve

I never thought of feeding an empty tank...thanks...great idea!! I like the thought of keeping extra filter media in the sump, too. I just put it in. Thanks a lot for your advice everone.
I know I'm over thinking this QT tank thing. I never used one before without a problem and became cocky. When I added the last fish on my list, he infected my whole tank. It was heartbreaking. I'm just paranoid about doing it right this time.
Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom