live rock in sump/refugium... Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bloomk

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok.. I have seen this a bit and it confuses me.. Why have live rock in the Refugium when it will fit in the DT? Any reason besides cosmetic?

It's for increasing the bioload of bacteria in the tank. More surface area more homes for the wee little critters and bacteria that live in your tank.
:)

carey said:
It's for increasing the bioload of bacteria in the tank. More surface area more homes for the wee little critters and bacteria that live in your tank.
:)

Ok, but there is no difference in surface area if you put this same rock in the main tank...lol

u might be giving ur tank to much light bacteria and algea love light so mabye turn the light of completly for a month then once a week for another month then the light just during the day when ur asleep turn it of think about it as if they want to sleep to

amanda23 said:
u might be giving ur tank to much light bacteria and algea love light so mabye turn the light of completly for a month then once a week for another month then the light just during the day when ur asleep turn it of think about it as if they want to sleep to

Huh? What are u talking about lol.. U sure you read the post right?

maybe you cant fit anymore in the dt. it helps filter the water by giving more room for beneficial bacteria and a safe place away from fish ect

ha, ill throw in my little bit too. for me its a place to put rock that doesnt work for my aquascape but still use for the filtration in the sump. or if you use all your rock in the dt, like said before, you can add more in the sump for more filtration. every little bit helps.

a refugium is not just used for filtration, if you look upwhat they are they are used as a refuge place for critters that cannot survive in the mail display. aka pods, micro algaes, injued fish, aggressive fish, injured corals or anemones. once again its a refuge a safe place for things to be

There should be more than enough flow in the display to allow live rock to filter to its full potential. If that is an issue you need to add more flow in the DT, not rock in the sump.

One thing that many people forget is to get enough flow BEHIND the rock. The only pump I had in my DT was blasting water behind my rockwork. This flow gets water moving all around and through the rockwork which allows it to filter better.

I would only worry about rock in the sump if you have filled up your DT and still have more rock.

Fishguy2727 said:
There should be more than enough flow in the display to allow live rock to filter to its full potential. If that is an issue you need to add more flow in the DT, not rock in the sump.

One thing that many people forget is to get enough flow BEHIND the rock. The only pump I had in my DT was blasting water behind my rockwork. This flow gets water moving all around and through the rockwork which allows it to filter better.

I would only worry about rock in the sump if you have filled up your DT and still have more rock.

I have lots of flow. Have 3 power heads totalling over 2000 gph, not to mention the flw to/from my sump at 450 gph.

I do not have any rock touching the glass for cleaning ease. But i have about 100-150 lbs of rock in my 90 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom