Live Rock Instead of filter??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Strawman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here are my tank specs:

55 gallon FO Saltwater tank.
2 Silver Lyre Tail Mollies
2 Marble Mollies
2 *Young* Maroon Clowns, haven't even established who is female or male yet, I think. But they sleep together!!!
Fake Anemone in the from of a child's Rubber Toy, Food Contact
SeaClone 100 Protein Skimmer-
Ehiem 2236 Filter

Does live rock replace the need for a filter? And if so, Do it in a sump, and tank or just one, or the other?

I am getting seeing mixed results across the internet.

You only need one skimmer and if you have a sump that is recommended above an HOB model. Live rock does act as a natural filter but I also think it's recommended that you still have a filter of some sort.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

You can do it whatever way you want. Live rock does replace any kind of filter if you have enough although you should have a good skimmer. Seaclone isnt really bad but there is better.. You can do live rock in the DT or in the sump or both. Im going to have LR in both my DT and sump, around 90Lbs in my DT and maybe another 10-20lbs in the sump. What are you using for substrate?

Shane.

Live rock does act as a filter and if you have enough you don't need an actual filter but it won't hurt to have one. Most people put the live rock in the tank and not the sump. But some people do both. I don't think you could put enough in just the sump unless it's pretty big. You'll want 1.5-2lbs of live rock per gallon. Keep the skimmer for sure and if you can find some macro algae put it in your sump.

Canister filters can trap stuff and raise your nitrates so make sure you clean it frequently if you continue using it.

You have a small (FO) tank, so the seaclone skimmer and nabe some live rock wont hurt. a canister filter is also good.
Now if you want a more natural Filter/system.. And mix/reef tank with 0-or close to 0 nitrates I would go very different .

In my system I have
live rock,skimmer,chaeto,copods,amphipods, could never have enough filtration :)

Live rock only Filtration has been done..... But by people that has had there tank for more the 5yrs .....at least everytime I read or see I video about it tanks have been running for up to 17yrs.

What are you using for substrate?
Shane.

Nature's Ocean Rock. It's not live rock, but it's advertised as straight from the ocean. I was looking into sand but kinda decided against it for now.

P.S. Where should I get live rock from? The only thing close to a LFS here is PETCO, should I get it from somewhere else like online?

ive always been satisfied with the live rock from liveaquaria.com

ive always been satisfied with the live rock from liveaquaria.com

I purchased their 30lb "Fancy-fused (Tonga)" and 30lb "Vanuatu" and am very happy with the shapes and coralline coloring (expensive though). You can check out my build-thread in my signature, I have pictures of it upon arrival and through the curing process.

The thing I have noticed about the petco rock in my area is aiptasia and some bryosis.

Back
Top Bottom