Live rock or dry rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rscomia

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just started my 90 gallon sw can i use dry rock and seed it with live rock? If so what should I look for in dry rock?

price and porousness. the more porous the rock is, the better off you are. you don't have to seed the dry rock with live rock. you can go all dry rock if you like.

well, you will need to cycle the tank, so what i would do is add all of the rock and then use an ammonia source like a cocktail shrimp or something similar to start the cycle. at the end of the cycle the rock will be covered with beneficial bacteria, and the tank will be ready for livestock.

I am hopefully filling my new tank tomorrow so I am basically at the same point. I am also going to be getting dry rock to start me off. where would you go for as far as acquiring dry rock?

I like the stuff from Bulk Reef Supply. Some here like Marcos Rocks and there are alot of other places online you could order from. Check your LFS, they might be having a sale on it.

Here is another question..
I have a 75 gal tank, how much rock should I get? I have read in different places that you should have about 1.5-2 pounds of rock for every gallon you have. BRS says to have 1 lv for every gallon...
From both of these sites, a hundred pounds of rock is $232 free shipping.. Bulk reef supply sells their rock by the pound which seems to me better suited if I need to go with 75 lbs.

75 pounds or more. as much as you can fit in the tank and it still be pleasing to the eye, and also manage very little to no dead spots (areas void of flow).
keeping good water movement is important for the rock to be able to filter efficiently, as well as keep the entire tank healthy. you don't want uneaten food and fish poop collecting in a corner somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom