live rock or dry rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ice fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
just curious, im looking to add more rock to my already established tank wanted to know which would be better to add, dry rock or live rock? i have a barnacle coral thats been dry for at least 10 years that id like to add to my tank. would this mess with my params? if i buy more rock should i stick with dry rock to have it seed or get live rock with it already seeded? thanks

It's a matter of choice. Dry rock has it's advantages (usually cheaper to aquire, no bad hitchhikers, no vegetation to die off, etc.) but also it's disadvantages (looks WAY different than what you already have, no good hitchhikers, etc.). Live rock will probably look closer to what you already have and would probably have a bacteria colony already growing plus you could have some cool (or bad) additions to your tank. Decide what you would prefer and go with it. There really is no totally right or totally wrong answer.

Whatever you use, be sure to rinse it well to remove any dust or debris from the rock.

Back
Top Bottom