Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2005, 08:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Live Rock (or not...)?

Hi,

I have a 55Gal tank (fish only, but would like inverts in the future), that currently is using an Interpet Bio Filter and a Hydor Prime 30 Cannister for filtration along with a Powerhead/Bio Wheel combination.

The tank also contains a 2" sandbase with 20KG of Ocean Rock (The inert stuff). My tanks has only been running for 4 months.

Would I be better off replacing the Ocean Rock with Live Rock, as all the Ocean Rock seems to do is collect more algae than the Turbo's can eat!

Will the Live Rock improve filtration?

Thanks

Marty

Tropical: 55G (200L) 48", Undergravel, 2xPowerHeads
Marty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 01:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The ocean rock is probably already live. Lr just means it is covered in bacteria and organisms that filter water. Don't replace it just add the regular lr over the top of it . That will make a great base for the prettier pieces and be a lot cheaper than replacing it with expensive lr. By the way, if you have snails you already have inverts. You need to get a bunch of red/blue leg hermits to help with the algae on the rocks. Live rock, powerheads, and a good skimmer is all you really need for filtration.

http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
Yeah what he said.

You rock is "live" in the sense that it is live with bacteria.

Adding live rock on top would be a great idea also.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 02:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I was under the impression that Ocean Rock was sterilised (in ammonia I think) before sales. Is that the case?

Tropical: 55G (200L) 48", Undergravel, 2xPowerHeads
Marty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 05:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have not heard of that (sterilized rock). Electrikat is right, your rock is already live rock. Hermit crabs are great algae eaters, and my emerald crabs seem to love it just as much.
You could always use a turkey baster to blast some of the algae off.
What fish do you have?
Old 04-04-2005, 05:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

All of the surfaces in your tank become breeding grounds for the beneficial bacteria that works the denitrification process. The rock in your system right now (along with any filter floss, substrate, etc) is home to the beneficial bacteria that is currently keeping your ammo/trite/trate in check. If you were to pull that rock out you would, in essence, be removing the processing workhorse of your tank.

I started with 100# of base rock (removed about 20#) and then added 60# of gulf/keys rock mix from LR.com (I've also probably added another 40# of rock back into the tank since then). The beautifully colored LR.com rock has infused my tank with life and color and provided the jump start to turn the existing base rock in my tank purple.

Excess algae in your tank is feeding off of excess nutrients (nitrate and phosphate) in your tank. The nutrients are feeding your algae. The best thing to do in regards to the algae is get the nutrients under control through controlled feeding, detritus control, water changes, macro algae in a sump or more rock to help out with the nitrate processing.

Adding good live rock will increase your bio-diversity and aid in the processing of the cycle.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 06:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty123
I was under the impression that Ocean Rock was sterilised (in ammonia I think) before sales. Is that the case?
That would, I think, make it no longer live.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Quote:
Originally Posted by copi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty123
That would, I think, make it no longer live.
Even if the rock came from a bucket of clorox (not recommended to try at home) the rock would become "live" with beneficial bacteria and coraline. All living rock is just that... Rock that has been sitting in a tank or the ocean long enough for beneficial bacteria, algae and an occasional hitchhiker to get into the rock. Don't get rid of your rock, just add to the base that you have and get a cleanup crew.
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 09:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Even if the rock came from a bucket of clorox (not recommended to try at home) the rock would become "live" with beneficial bacteria and coraline. All living rock is just that... Rock that has been sitting in a tank or the ocean long enough for beneficial bacteria, algae and an occasional hitchhiker to get into the rock. Don't get rid of your rock, just add to the base that you have and get a cleanup crew.
Yes, "dead" rock becomes "live" rock over time. I guess I misunderstood the original term "oceanic" rock. If the "oceanic" rock is sterilized, it is not "live" rock until it has been in the aquarium for a period of time, which will cause it to become alive, as you said. Anything live (ie, "live rock") that is sterilized, is no longer live but can become live again.

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com