Live Rock (or not...)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marty123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have a 55Gal tank (fish only, but would like inverts in the future), that currently is using an Interpet Bio Filter and a Hydor Prime 30 Cannister for filtration along with a Powerhead/Bio Wheel combination.

The tank also contains a 2" sandbase with 20KG of Ocean Rock (The inert stuff). My tanks has only been running for 4 months.

Would I be better off replacing the Ocean Rock with Live Rock, as all the Ocean Rock seems to do is collect more algae than the Turbo's can eat!

Will the Live Rock improve filtration?

Thanks

Marty

The ocean rock is probably already live. Lr just means it is covered in bacteria and organisms that filter water. Don't replace it just add the regular lr over the top of it . That will make a great base for the prettier pieces and be a lot cheaper than replacing it with expensive lr. By the way, if you have snails you already have inverts. You need to get a bunch of red/blue leg hermits to help with the algae on the rocks. Live rock, powerheads, and a good skimmer is all you really need for filtration.

Yeah what he said.

You rock is "live" in the sense that it is live with bacteria.

Adding live rock on top would be a great idea also.

I was under the impression that Ocean Rock was sterilised (in ammonia I think) before sales. Is that the case?

Have not heard of that (sterilized rock). Electrikat is right, your rock is already live rock. Hermit crabs are great algae eaters, and my emerald crabs seem to love it just as much.
You could always use a turkey baster to blast some of the algae off.
What fish do you have?

All of the surfaces in your tank become breeding grounds for the beneficial bacteria that works the denitrification process. The rock in your system right now (along with any filter floss, substrate, etc) is home to the beneficial bacteria that is currently keeping your ammo/trite/trate in check. If you were to pull that rock out you would, in essence, be removing the processing workhorse of your tank.

I started with 100# of base rock (removed about 20#) and then added 60# of gulf/keys rock mix from LR.com (I've also probably added another 40# of rock back into the tank since then). The beautifully colored LR.com rock has infused my tank with life and color and provided the jump start to turn the existing base rock in my tank purple.

Excess algae in your tank is feeding off of excess nutrients (nitrate and phosphate) in your tank. The nutrients are feeding your algae. The best thing to do in regards to the algae is get the nutrients under control through controlled feeding, detritus control, water changes, macro algae in a sump or more rock to help out with the nitrate processing.

Adding good live rock will increase your bio-diversity and aid in the processing of the cycle.

Marty123 said:
I was under the impression that Ocean Rock was sterilised (in ammonia I think) before sales. Is that the case?

That would, I think, make it no longer live.

copi said:
Marty123 said:

That would, I think, make it no longer live.

Even if the rock came from a bucket of clorox (not recommended to try at home) the rock would become "live" with beneficial bacteria and coraline. All living rock is just that... Rock that has been sitting in a tank or the ocean long enough for beneficial bacteria, algae and an occasional hitchhiker to get into the rock. Don't get rid of your rock, just add to the base that you have and get a cleanup crew.

Even if the rock came from a bucket of clorox (not recommended to try at home) the rock would become "live" with beneficial bacteria and coraline. All living rock is just that... Rock that has been sitting in a tank or the ocean long enough for beneficial bacteria, algae and an occasional hitchhiker to get into the rock. Don't get rid of your rock, just add to the base that you have and get a cleanup crew.

Yes, "dead" rock becomes "live" rock over time. I guess I misunderstood the original term "oceanic" rock. If the "oceanic" rock is sterilized, it is not "live" rock until it has been in the aquarium for a period of time, which will cause it to become alive, as you said. Anything live (ie, "live rock") that is sterilized, is no longer live but can become live again.

Back
Top Bottom