Live rock? other stuff..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luke.s

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Completely new to fish. I have a 30gal tank and plan on getting 2 clown fish...

besides that I plan on getting some fluorescent lights, salts, some sea sand, a filter, a 100watt heater, a pump and of course all the essentials such as testing kits n such.

sorry if I have anything wrong, I'd never just throw some things together n put fish in the tank n hope they live lol my questions are,
What is live rock and do I need it?
How many gph for my pump?

Live rock is rock that essentially comes from the ocean. It is live because of all the critters, corals, small organisms, basteria, ect that live in and on the rock. It will be a huge part of your filtration system since the bacteria that live in the rock will help keep ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites in balance.

I would say yes you do need it, but you can get away with getting only a few pieces of liverock and purchasing the rest as dry dead base rock. The good bacteria from the liverock will eventually spread to the surrounding dry base rock. This way would be cheaper.

Curing live rock? I didn't even know it was sick!

Sorry probably not the best explanation haha maybe someone else can add more to it.

You know to cycle your tank right??

yes and not to put the fish in for a few weeks until levels of everything are just right.. yea?

and I've been looking at live rock and its pretty expensive... more $ than the fish haha or maybe im looking in the wrong place?

Besides that does everything look in place for me to buy?

Yup like i said just get one or two pieces of live rock, since it is expensive, and get dry base rock for the rest...the dry stuff should be about half the price of the live. I'd say get about 30 lbs if not more. Make sure to pick nice looking pieces with holes and caves. You can save money on the sand by getting just dry aragonite sand instead of the live sand (make sure to rinse the sand quite a few times before adding it to the tank so your tank isn't too cloudy).

If you ever want to get corals you will need to think about getting a better light as well.

Also i find that filters with sponges and such just gather gunk and cause algae outbreaks. I personally stay away from them and just do weekly water changes.

kms907 said:
Live rock is rock that essentially comes from the ocean. It is live because of all the critters, corals, small organisms, basteria, ect that live in and on the rock. It will be a huge part of your filtration system since the bacteria that live in the rock will help keep ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites in balance.

I would say yes you do need it, but you can get away with getting only a few pieces of liverock and purchasing the rest as dry dead base rock. The good bacteria from the liverock will eventually spread to the surrounding dry base rock. This way would be cheaper.

Curing live rock? I didnt even know it was sick!

Sorry probably not the best explanation haha maybe someone else can add more to it.

What about live rock in a brackish tank?

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Curing live rock? I didn't even know it was sick!

Okay, you almost got it correct..good job..Liverock as it effects saltwater tanks is basicly coral that is infested with arobic bacteria that feeds on ammonia. Everything else on the rock is called "hitchhikers". You can take baserock...dead, dryed out rock and put that in your tank and it will soon become "live" if an ammonia source it added. That said, the hitchhikers is what make the liverock fun to follow all the animals that can live in and on that coral rock. My tank is made up of 100% man made rock...cement, oyster shells and aragonite sand. It is illegal to take any liverock from the ocean in the area that I live so check your local laws and be safe.

Back
Top Bottom