Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-28-2010, 05:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I plan on going with a T5 set up with, I am thinking, 10 or 14k lighting. Will this be sufficent? From what i've seen, that is what most coral/LR tank owners have but will that be over kill on a 20g/long?

Old 05-28-2010, 06:09 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Be sure it's a T-5 HO unit and if you plan on corals you will never have to much light. More so if you want sps corals and large clams.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:51 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I assume HO means High Output. If that is the case, I intend to do so. Also, can I mix and match LR? For instence, 20 lbs from Fiji, 20lbs from Caribbean? I assume it would work but I don' want to make an [moderator edit] out of me!
Old 05-28-2010, 07:15 PM   #14
Sliced Bread

You are correct on HO.

And yes, you can mix and match your rock all you want.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

As neilanh stated, the more the mix the better.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #16
is back to save the day!

Just a little suggestion.

Get a brand new toothbrush.. or a brush similar to toothbrush material, and clean the rocks. You won't believe how much crap is really on those rocks that will make your tank dirty for WEEKS. When i first got my LR.. i just threw it in the tank with no prior cleaning, and my tank was dirty forever. Even when i managed to get the tank decently clean, waste and garbage kept floating up from the sandbed. It was a total nightmare.

You don't even need to scrub it like your life depended on it.. you just need to lightly brush off junk. And trust me.. just because you cleaned off some junk doesn't mean your rock won't cycle your tank anymore... There are TONS of things living in the rock, and some of them are bound to die-off and produce ammonia to start a cycle. So don't worry about that.. just clean off the rocks before you put them in. You need to clean them off with pre-mixed saltwater though. You don't want to clean it off with regular freshwater otherwise you will kill a lot of things you may want, and that may live through the cycle.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:27 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

although there are low light corals as well,I would just setup your tank and get used to all the testing, water changes and generally how to take care of your tank and fish before even thinking of coral,then maybe once your tank is established think about corals.
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:59 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

If you are setting up a new tank I would just add the LR directly to the tank and let it cycle the tank. There will be some die off even if it's cured LR, uncured is better for this purpose.
You should inspect the LR before adding it to the tank. At the very least, swish it in a bucket of sw to knock off the loose sand, and debris from shipping.

Instead of mixing LR from the pacific and carribean I would suggest getting 50% base rock and 50% pacific rock (fiji, marshal island,Vanuati, Bali, etc.)

You had asked about the interaction of coral and LR. LR is the base to which you attach a coral. LR is part of your biological filter. The surface area hosts the beneficial bacteria that break down ammonia to nitrite, nitrite to nitrate, and in the deep crevices breakdown nitritate to nitrogen. That's one of the reasons I perfer pacific coral LR.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:26 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well this was certainly illuminating. Thanks for the tip Zero and David S. Thanks for the knowledge Cmor. I will probably be looking at putting 30-40 lbs of Fiji live rock into my 20glong. I think it looks nicer and from what I have been reading, does a little better job per lb of filtering than any other LR. As far a corals, I will be waiting a while to put any inthere, but I want to have the tank set up and ready for it at a later time. I don't want to have to go out a few months down the road and find a new light or get now LR because they are not compatible with whatever coral or fish or whatever I want. Thus all the questions. Thanks for all the help ladies and gentlemen. I am getting closer to the start date...
Old 05-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Big news...I just convinced my girlfriend to let me go with a bigger tank... new question...39g or 55g?

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com