Live Rock Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
55g. I consider it a starter tank for sw :D

Have you considered an LED light setup. Cost's more to start but no bulbs to change for years AND, I recently read that it prevents cyano and cures a tank of this pest alage because the light spectrum produces is so low in the yello-green range that cyano uses.

Seriously whatever size tank you decide on you will truely enjoy it. Take it slow and enjoy each step in the setting up and stocking of your tank.

55g for sure, The bigger the better. Easyier to stable water conditions and bigger and better options on fish and corals. (But, More expensive.. Lol)

LED lighting seems to be the new future to marine lighting, I would go that too if i had the cash. Quite expensive, But in the long run alot cheaper.

get a tank as big as poss,it'll help in the end and you could use the 20g as a sump.LED's are spot on.I run aquaray 500 and aquafx 500.the fx is setup for sunrise at 07:00 full light at 12:00 and moon light from 21:00 to 24:00,plus a few extra colour changes,the effect is brilliant.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions! I am still up in the air but will decide shortly. The next question I have is about the sump/refugium set up. How nescessary is this part to any tank? It seems to me to be an integral part of the set up, but I can't see the whole picture as to its importance. A brief explination would be invaluable to me as I want to set up the tank correct the first time and have as few mistakes as possible. I have seen some pictures and drawings but can't see what it really does and why it is so important that everyong has them set up... Thanks again...

Okay, all a sump is, is a place to add more volume to your system. It is also a place to add more LR to your system. The sump will also be able to hide most of your equipment...Skimmer, heaters, ATO etc. You can also use it as a place to grow macro algae..cheato or the like. This is the refugium part of the system. I'm sure I missed something, but someone else will chime in...

Last edited:
If you go with a 55g, see if you could talk your girlfriend into a 75g, it has basically the same footprint as the 55g, but it has more front to back room which makes scaping your live/base rock easier than in a narrow 55g. Plus the extra 20g of water volume is a plus with stocking and parameter stability. HTH.

Since you are starting off, keep in mind of the salt demand. If you dont plan to get a really good skimmer, you will need to be doing weekly PWC of at least 10%. 10% of 75g is 7.5g, so prepare for that as it requries a good bit of salt and RO/DI water.

Not trying to discredit any of the pros here, but just remembered how I started off with my 20g that I have. All the splashing water around and mixing salt and what not.

I agree that bigger is better, but as you go up in volume so does your maintenance! Also the lighting $$$ goes up with large tanks. Youll need more sand ($$$) and more rocks ($$$) plus a stand to support all that weight. (8.5lbs per gallon). None of the above mentioned are cheap either...My t5 sundial is a low end t5 light and costs $250 or so for a 24in!

Also, AVOID live sand as its rediculously priced. Go with mostly dry rock and just a few pounds of live rock.

Matt

Maintenance actually goes down somewhat after everything stabilizes on bigger tanks compared to smaller tanks, more room for common mistakes, less frequent water testing, etc... As long as you buy salt in bulk you are fine. The light would cost the same as if he had gone with a 55g, as I said, basically the same dimensions.

Your Sundial is actually a higher end T5 HO model.

Agree with the live sand and base rock part.

Thanks for all the advice and support. Just waiting on the IRS to finally get the check to me and then I will begin the project. I am thinking I'll go with the 20Glong still as it will fit the new budget (apparently wood flooring is fantastic for resale value so I no longer have the $1000 I thought I would) :( I still will have around $600 and will be able to start the tank and get it cycled. By then (I assume a month to get everything together and start the cycling process) I will have saved more money and will be able to think about the fish I would want in the tank. I'm thinking 2 Ocellaris clownfish, maybe a damsel or two I'm not sure yet as that is the last thing I want to research because it will only add to the frustration at not having the tank set up yet. However, I am willing to look at and research any livestock suggestions... :)

Thanks for all the advice and support. Just waiting on the IRS to finally get the check to me and then I will begin the project. I am thinking I'll go with the 20Glong still as it will fit the new budget (apparently wood flooring is fantastic for resale value so I no longer have the $1000 I thought I would) :( I still will have around $600 and will be able to start the tank and get it cycled. By then (I assume a month to get everything together and start the cycling process) I will have saved more money and will be able to think about the fish I would want in the tank. I'm thinking 2 Ocellaris clownfish, maybe a damsel or two I'm not sure yet as that is the last thing I want to research because it will only add to the frustration at not having the tank set up yet. However, I am willing to look at and research any livestock suggestions... :)

IMO don't get damsel, I got yellow tail damsel and wanna give it out for free, It doesn't get along with other fishes, killed 1 chromis and always chasing clown. Very territorial, Just my experience should hv researched b4 got them.

Maintenance actually goes down somewhat after everything stabilizes on bigger tanks compared to smaller tanks, more room for common mistakes, less frequent water testing, etc... As long as you buy salt in bulk you are fine. The light would cost the same as if he had gone with a 55g, as I said, basically the same dimensions.

Your Sundial is actually a higher end T5 HO model.

Agree with the live sand and base rock part.

I agree here. I just got in this hobby myself. I bought a 60 gallon combo(which is almost identical to a 55) and im kicking myself in the butt for not going with a 75. The dimensions are so much better if your interested in corals. Its deeper rather than taller, giving you more room for corals, plus putting them closer to the light, allowing you to possibly have high light corals that might not have worked in the 55. And the cost of starting up and maintenance on both would be very close. Just the honest opinion of a newb who is already realizing his mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom