Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2010, 06:01 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Since you are starting off, keep in mind of the salt demand. If you dont plan to get a really good skimmer, you will need to be doing weekly PWC of at least 10%. 10% of 75g is 7.5g, so prepare for that as it requries a good bit of salt and RO/DI water.

Not trying to discredit any of the pros here, but just remembered how I started off with my 20g that I have. All the splashing water around and mixing salt and what not.

I agree that bigger is better, but as you go up in volume so does your maintenance! Also the lighting $$$ goes up with large tanks. Youll need more sand ($$$) and more rocks ($$$) plus a stand to support all that weight. (8.5lbs per gallon). None of the above mentioned are cheap either...My t5 sundial is a low end t5 light and costs $250 or so for a 24in!

Also, AVOID live sand as its rediculously priced. Go with mostly dry rock and just a few pounds of live rock.

Matt

Old 05-31-2010, 06:03 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

i want a 75 so flipping bad

Old 05-31-2010, 07:38 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maintenance actually goes down somewhat after everything stabilizes on bigger tanks compared to smaller tanks, more room for common mistakes, less frequent water testing, etc... As long as you buy salt in bulk you are fine. The light would cost the same as if he had gone with a 55g, as I said, basically the same dimensions.

Your Sundial is actually a higher end T5 HO model.

Agree with the live sand and base rock part.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for all the advice and support. Just waiting on the IRS to finally get the check to me and then I will begin the project. I am thinking I'll go with the 20Glong still as it will fit the new budget (apparently wood flooring is fantastic for resale value so I no longer have the $1000 I thought I would) I still will have around $600 and will be able to start the tank and get it cycled. By then (I assume a month to get everything together and start the cycling process) I will have saved more money and will be able to think about the fish I would want in the tank. I'm thinking 2 Ocellaris clownfish, maybe a damsel or two I'm not sure yet as that is the last thing I want to research because it will only add to the frustration at not having the tank set up yet. However, I am willing to look at and research any livestock suggestions...
Old 06-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #35
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
55g. I consider it a starter tank for sw
My thoughts also. 55 gallon is the perfect size to start.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeker4 View Post
Thanks for all the advice and support. Just waiting on the IRS to finally get the check to me and then I will begin the project. I am thinking I'll go with the 20Glong still as it will fit the new budget (apparently wood flooring is fantastic for resale value so I no longer have the $1000 I thought I would) I still will have around $600 and will be able to start the tank and get it cycled. By then (I assume a month to get everything together and start the cycling process) I will have saved more money and will be able to think about the fish I would want in the tank. I'm thinking 2 Ocellaris clownfish, maybe a damsel or two I'm not sure yet as that is the last thing I want to research because it will only add to the frustration at not having the tank set up yet. However, I am willing to look at and research any livestock suggestions...
IMO don't get damsel, I got yellow tail damsel and wanna give it out for free, It doesn't get along with other fishes, killed 1 chromis and always chasing clown. Very territorial, Just my experience should hv researched b4 got them.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thominil View Post
Maintenance actually goes down somewhat after everything stabilizes on bigger tanks compared to smaller tanks, more room for common mistakes, less frequent water testing, etc... As long as you buy salt in bulk you are fine. The light would cost the same as if he had gone with a 55g, as I said, basically the same dimensions.

Your Sundial is actually a higher end T5 HO model.

Agree with the live sand and base rock part.
I agree here. I just got in this hobby myself. I bought a 60 gallon combo(which is almost identical to a 55) and im kicking myself in the butt for not going with a 75. The dimensions are so much better if your interested in corals. Its deeper rather than taller, giving you more room for corals, plus putting them closer to the light, allowing you to possibly have high light corals that might not have worked in the 55. And the cost of starting up and maintenance on both would be very close. Just the honest opinion of a newb who is already realizing his mistakes.

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com