Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-28-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Live Rock Question

What is the proceedure for handeling LR? Do you simply buy it and throw it in your tank, or do you have to wash it in salt water and put it in? Also, how does LR take to being handled with no gloves? Newbie who is curious...

Old 05-28-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Sliced Bread

Is your tank already setup and running and cycled?

WHen you buy live rock, through shipping or transporting it's common to get what's called Die-Off when you put it in water. This is just stuff on the rock that has died that usually causes an ammonia spike.

So, if you get new LR and your tank is already cycled, it's a good idea to "cure" it before you put it in your tank. Put it in a container or whatever you have with some SW, a heater and a powerhead and let it sit for a while to process all the dead stuff off so you don't cause an ammonia spike in your tank.

However, if you get the LR from your local LFS or a friend or something that's had the rock in a tank or curing vat already, then if it's already fully cured you can put it straight in your tank.

As for handling it, you can just grab it. More risk is posed to you than it is to the rock itself. I wear nitrile gloves whenever I handle it, as there can be things on the rock that will hurt you.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can touch LR, Just be careful of whats on it. A crab may pop out, You might touch something slimy, You might touch something hard and spikey. You never know, Your best of doing some research about "LR Hitch Hikers" and seeing the things that come with LR sometimes.

There is no need to wash it as it needs to be cycled.

Usually, LR will come from a sump or a tank in the LFS. Once you buy it, They may put it in a box of some sort, Then you go home, put it in your tank and start the cycle.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am setting up a 20g long tank and am looking into everything before I go out and buy. I will want the LR to help the tank cycle so I will be putting them in an uncycled tank. Neilanh, where do you get the nitrile gloves that you mentioned. Those sound like a wonderful thing to have.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I agree on wearing gloves, but be aware that there may be very sharp edges. I generally end up with small cuts a/o torn gloves when handling my rock.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
Sliced Bread

You can get nitrile gloves at any local hardware store. Try to find the unpowdered version. I've used both, and while the powder hasnt affected anything, the unpowdered ones don't put stuff in your tank that doesn't need to be there.

They're only a small level of protection, though. If you're really concerned about it, you can use heavier duty rubber kitchen gloves (just get a set and ONLY use it for your tanks if you're going to do this though. no cleaning the toilet then using it in your tank. lol)
Old 05-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cool, thanks for the advice. Two more questions. How much LR is possible with a 20glong tank? How do LR and coral get along?
Old 05-28-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

1-2 pounds per gallon has been the rule i've always used. Although for a 10gallon tank 20 pounds is already enough. It also depends what type of LR you're talking about. Pacific and fiji rock is considerably less dense than atlantic Lr.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Alright that seems simple enough a 2:1 ratio. Still curious about how LR and most corals get along. I realize every type of coral is different but I will eventually want some easy to care for coral as I am a newbie to SW. Any suggestions on nice looking easy to maintain coral? Thanks for the help everybody BTW!!!
Old 05-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do your research and remember that corals need allot of light so be sure to figure that item into your overall layout.

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com