Is your tank already setup and running and cycled?
WHen you buy live rock, through shipping or transporting it's common to get what's called Die-Off when you put it in water. This is just stuff on the rock that has died that usually causes an ammonia spike.
So, if you get new LR
and your tank is already cycled, it's a good idea to "cure" it before you put it in your tank. Put it in a container or whatever you have with some SW
, a heater and a powerhead and let it sit for a while to process all the dead stuff off so you don't cause an ammonia spike in your tank.
However, if you get the LR
from your local LFS
or a friend or something that's had the rock in a tank or curing vat already, then if it's already fully cured you can put it straight in your tank.
As for handling it, you can just grab it. More risk is posed to you than it is to the rock itself. I wear nitrile gloves whenever I handle it, as there can be things on the rock that will hurt you.