live rock question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwalsh

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can I add more live rock to my tank after its been running for 4 months if its cured all the way? Or is this going to cause a spike regardless?

From what I've read it will cause a spike. Why not just add base rock as it will turn live by sitting in the tank for a while?

I was hoping to get some rock with some other colors of coroline on them as the rock I have now just has dark purple, light purple, pink and red. I was hoping to get some yellow and orange as well. I did find a place that sells these stips of coroline so you can use them as a starter to get a certain color you want. Maybe ill just go with base rock and some of those cultures

Depending on the size of your tank, the size of the rock you want to add, you may or may not get a spike. Adding new live rock shouldn't create that large a spike especially if you've been running for 4 months. Feel free to add move live rock I say.

Its a 29 gal and I want to add 25 lbs. But its already cured so I can't for see a problem. I got a 5" deep sand bed also

You'll be fine. Just add the rock. You're not going to have much dieoff from that amount of live rock.

If you're getting it from LFS, keep it fully submerged in water the whole trip home; only touching air to move from tank>bucket>tank.

If you're having it shipped to you, it will have die-off and cause a spike. Best thing to do then would be to re-cure it using water from your PWC until the water passes all tests.

TeamTrash said:
From what I've read it will cause a spike. Why not just add base rock as it will turn live by sitting in the tank for a while?

True story..

The definition of "fully cured" means there is no die-off and will not cause a spike. Of course, just because a seller says its fully cured, doesn't mean it's true. If there's any real concern put in in some salt water in a container with a small powerhead and test it after 24hrs. Better safe than sorry IMO.

Yeah well the guy I'm buying it from lives 5 miles down the road from me and it he got it 3 weeks ago and I've been to his house for other stuff in those 3 weeks. Everytime I'm there I ask him if its ready lol but its been good for a week or so. I guess ill go get it and put it in a tub anyways and test the water anyways just to make sure its really all good. I've got about $250-$300 worth of live stock in my tank that I don't need dying just because of the rock. And id really be kicking myself if that happens and I could have just added base rock and avoided the entire situation

jwalsh said:
Yeah well the guy I'm buying it from lives 5 miles down the road from me and it he got it 3 weeks ago and I've been to his house for other stuff in those 3 weeks. Everytime I'm there I ask him if its ready lol but its been good for a week or so. I guess ill go get it and put it in a tub anyways and test the water anyways just to make sure its really all good. I've got about $250-$300 worth of live stock in my tank that I don't need dying just because of the rock. And id really be kicking myself if that happens and I could have just added base rock and avoided the entire situation

A lot of those rocks are formed in salt so they will elevate salt levels

I'm just going to buy base rock from brs and call it good. Better be safe than sorry

5" of sand? I've heard if you have too many inches bad things.. bacteria and such can get trapped and then released

Yeah 80 lbs of sand in my 29 gallon. It's a for my Michael's pistol shrimp and yellow watchman goby

Back
Top Bottom