Live rock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

colie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just picked up a couple hundred lbs of live rock on craigslist from a guy who just broke down aquarium and he had it sitting dry overnight. Any advice on how to treat it to make sure there's no scary things before adding to my aquarium?

I'm rinsing them off and putting in saltwater right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If its dried out there is nothing to do with it but put it in your tank and let it start its cycle, their may be the odd live hitchhiker still alive somewhere in the middle as the rock can hold some moisture for a few days.

Should I let it sit in saltwater by itself for a while and should I just add a little at a time? I do have a stocked aquarium and don't want to change to much at once. I have it all in a garbage bin with saltwater right now but it's too full of rock to add a powerhead

Should I let it sit in saltwater by itself for a while and should I just add a little at a time? I do have a stocked aquarium and don't want to change to much at once. I have it all in a garbage bin with saltwater right now but it's too full of rock to add a powerhead

It might cycle enough in the garbage bin but you will need a powerhead so take some rock out. test daily for ammonia, nitrite & when they are done and you have only trates left starting adding a rock or two at a time to your dt and you should be good to go

One more thing. I got it in 2 bins and water movement but do I need to put a heater in?

If you have an extra use it, if u don't then it will be okay depending on room temp vs what you keep your tank @

Ok thank you. I keep the dt around 78 and the lr is out in the garage which probably gets colder then that at night and possibly hotter during the day. I didn't realize temp mattered with this process so I'll get it inside and put in some old heaters

Just curious what did you pay for all that rock? How big is your tank?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

He had a 100 g tank as well which I wanted but someone beat me to it. Also free :( I've been looking for another one to set up a bigger qt. I'm not exactly sure how many lbs I got exactly but I'm going to add some of it to my dt slowly once it's cured and maybe set up another smaller one.

Back
Top Bottom