Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2004, 04:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Live Rock Question

is 7 dollars a pound a good price for live rock? thats how much the local aquatic shop wants and i wanted to know if that was reasonable.

Old 12-13-2004, 04:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's not cheap--probably about average. But what matters more is what kind of rock it is, how much life it has on it, and how much you need--lots of people go online for better deals. I just got 120 lbs from Liverocks.com and I'm very happy. I could have gotten rock locally for about the same price--but nowhere near the same quality.

Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 04:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Seems a little high for around here. I think I see it $4-$6 depending on type and amount of growth. I do not buy a lot as I chose to start with mostly base rock $1.50-$2/lb and seed it over time. The last time I bought any in WI I paid about $4/lb.

I know a lot of people buy online and I am sure someone can give you a site to check out.

Good luck,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 07:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Liveaquaria.com sells 45lbs for $99 plus shipping. Not a bad deal.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:24 PM   #5

oh this is in ohio, if that makes a difference. how would i be able to tell the quality?
Old 12-15-2004, 01:23 AM   #6

you can tell the quality by how much color its got on it. If its got colors and looks like stuff is growing and its matured its good. If it looks like plain rock then its prolly not the best. Liveaquaria.com has great deals on rock just not sure how great the quality is
Penguin 170 filter (no wheel)
Neptune 100 heater
2xAquaclear 301 PH
25 lbs of LR and 40 lbs of LS from LFS

Fish: occelaris clown , bicolor blenny , evil blue damsel
Corals: Starburst polyp, Candy cane, Bullseye mushrooms
Cleaners: 3 margarita snails, cleaner shrimp,scarlet hermit,2 dwarf redleg hermits,2 dwarf zebra hermits
ilikefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 04:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

$7.00 a pound is typical LFS pricing.

If you decide to order LR from LiveAquaira keep in mind it will need to be re-cured once it arrives. This will take anywhere from 6 to 8 weeks and you should not add any other live maine life to the tank while the rock is being cured.

If you can afford it, LiveRocks.com will ship 40 pounds of cured rock, overnight to your door for around $200.00 (And this is excellent quality rock).
Old 12-15-2004, 08:38 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
LiveRocks.com will ship 40 pounds of cured rock
It is NOT cured LR. It is very fresh LR that is shipped soon after picking. There will still be some die off in shipping any rock. Some people have had no problems putting it into a cycled tank, others have. When I got mine last year it was quite cold outside and the inside temp of the box was below 60 and there was quite a bit of die-off present.

Also being so fresh there a lot of hitchhikers. Not all are beneficial. Check back on some of the posts. The rock is GREAT QUALITY! for the price.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 11:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I ordered 46-52 lbs of live fiji rock from oceanproaquatics.com for $112. I don't know if a lot of people have seen or heard about this site. It was recommended to me by a fellow AA forum user (Firefighter...) I drove out to Chino and the owner was very helpful and friendly. Rock looks really good. I had some critters ( brittle stars and few crabs) but none of them survived my cycle.

I don't know if it compares to Liverocks.com ( haven't order from them yet), but I was very satisfied with the service and rocks. I'll try to post some pics after finals. HTH.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:35 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This may sound like a dumb question and someone was kind enough to say it was not necessary, but I just want to be straight about it and understand the process a little better.
I have a 20 gallon tank without about 15 lbs of live rock and about 10 lbs of base rock, soon to be added too. I did a fishless cycle (actually, with fish, but dead ones). Whenever I add an ammonia source, it is quickly squelched. In addition to the live rock I have about 3-5 inches of playsand, 5 snails and 10 little-wittle crabs and a star fish. I have the light on all the time at the moment but will soon use a timer.
It will not be until the new year owing to holidays and what not before I actually place a fish in the tank. Do I need to feed the live rock with an ammonia or another source of food and if not, why not? I understand that the critters ought just to graze off the live rock, but... doesn't the rock need something? Jeff

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com