I bought some amazingly nasty (in a good way) lr
from a local fish store. It's only about 5.5 pounds (just enough to seed my hyposalinity-anihilated display lrs). I am worried, though, of ammonia spikes. The lfs
said they normally sell cured. But to be sure, I had that 5.5 lbs of lr
in a 5G bucket with display water, air stones, and a powerful powerhead (Aquaclear 4000).
How would I know if a rock is actually cured, besides a guy telling me at a lfs
? I mean, I smelled it and it smelled like the sea. I saw a couple of tiny "generic" crabs (is what i pertained to it) on it, some petrified worms (is what they look like), algae, and calcium build ups. How can I tell if it is cured or uncured.
Can I just leave the bucket running for three weeks and wish for it to cure or should I really make water changes to lrs that the lfs
claims to be cured? what's the wise thing to do?