Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2005, 09:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Live Rock Question

Can ordinary base rock eventually turn into live rock? If so, how long does it take?

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
johnkristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, but you need a small amount of live rock to "seed" the dead rock. There's also a company that sells a powder "GARF Grunge" made of broken up live rocks to seed with. You can only multiply organisims you started with. The amount of time it takes depends on the ratio of live rock to base rock, and the water/light conditions.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I had bunch of dried reef rock it was all white and now I cant even tell the difference between the LR in my Tank. For it to get real nice give it about a year
125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 03:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

My real reason for asking was for its filtration properties, not just for looks. Yeah, it would be great to have rock that looked like live rock with coraline algae growth and all of that stuff. But I know with a fish only tank like I have, I do not have the correct lighting for that kind of growth. But, that's not what I'm really interested in. What I really want it for is its ability to reduce nitrates. Will my base rock ever obtain that capability??
For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities...have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:20)
johnkristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 09:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, the bacteria will spread just like the higher order organisims, only faster!

If your tank is fishless, the best way to make this happen is to run a fishless cycle, (if you've already done it once before you got the rock, do it again with a double portion of starter organic matter/ammonia source.) When the tank finishes cycling, your rock has a decent head start on it's own biological filtering capacity.

If your tank has fish in it already, it will take a little bit longer, but it will happen. If you're replacing a bioball system with live rock, remove a small portion of the bioballs every week, and the live rock will pick up the slack.

If the bacteria is all you're worried about, either a sample of live rock or live sand will do for seeding your base rock. If your tank is already cycled, then niether is required.
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:48 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

The end result of the cycle is nitrates. Various ways to get rid of them are PWC refugiums (macro) or other various ways.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com