Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2006, 11:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Live Rock Question

I bought about 35 lbs of base rock and 25 lbs of seed rock for my 72g tank. I was little apprehensive about the quantity as mentioned in another post, thats why I bought less than generally recommended amount. Now after placing them in the tank, I am convinced that I can add more (Thanks Canyon15).

I paid 35 lbs @ $2 and 25 lbs @ $8. I want to add another 30 lbs. I checked with another lfs here and they are selling @ 5.75;

The live rock from liveaquaria seems to me lot cheaper than this even after factoring in the shipping cost. What do you guys suggest? Also I see different kinds of rocks in that website. Is there a specific type I should go for?

Old 02-12-2006, 12:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
i ordered my lr from marinedepotlive.com and liveaquaria i was very pleased with the quality

Old 02-12-2006, 12:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to SuperWade2
Re: Live Rock Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindk
I bought about 35 lbs of base rock and 25 lbs of seed rock for my 72g tank. I was little apprehensive about the quantity as mentioned in another post, thats why I bought less than generally recommended amount. Now after placing them in the tank, I am convinced that I can add more (Thanks Canyon15).

I paid 35 lbs @ $2 and 25 lbs @ $8. I want to add another 30 lbs. I checked with another lfs here and they are selling @ 5.75;

The live rock from liveaquaria seems to me lot cheaper than this even after factoring in the shipping cost. What do you guys suggest? Also I see different kinds of rocks in that website. Is there a specific type I should go for?
I don't mean to hijack your Thread, but I was getting ready to post a Live Rock Inquiry also, and maybe we can both get our ?'s answered...

I wasn't happy with the selection or quality of the LFS LR @ about $6.00/lb so I'm also looking at LiveAquaria.Com which many people on here seem to recommend.

Here is what I was considering for my 46 Gal;

Fiji Foundation Rock - 35 lb. Box @ $59.99 http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...fm?pCatId=2391
Select Fiji Premium Rock - 22 lb. Box @ $79.99 http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=397
Tonga Branch Live Rock - 24 lb. Box @ $89.99 http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=401

Which will give about 80 Lbs total in my 46 Gal (which is maybe on the upper side, but that's OK), and Still costs barely over $4/lb total (base and LR)...

Any opinions on this combo of Rocks?

Sw2
Old 02-12-2006, 12:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

i got the fiji from liveaquaria.com. two thumbs up!
Old 02-12-2006, 03:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to SuperWade2
Now I'm 2nd guessing myself... I'm thinking about skipping the Tonga Branch LR and going for the 45lb box of Select Fiji Premium Rock and 35lb of Fiji Foundation Rock. Still give me about 80lbs total @ about $3.60/lb shipped....

That will give me all Fiji, but is that so bad???

SW2

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com