live rock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bapski

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a 130 gallon tank and just starting my fishless cycle.

in my tank i have 3 raw shrimp and 5 lb of live rock.

question: as i am still cycling my tank, am i limited to the 5lb. live rock? can i not add more? if so how much more can i add?

thanks.

I think now would be a good time to add it while its cycling, other wise, you have to add fully cured LR at a later date, which a.) costs more money, or b.) is a bit of a hassle to do your own unless you're up for it.

I would add all the rock you want right away. Just watch your water for its quality. You need a skimmer going if you add lots of LR, and may need to do PWC while it goes through the die off part.

The more water you change, the slower your cycle will go, but the more life you'll save on the LR from dying in an ammonia cesspool. :)

Others will certainly advise you better on this than i can though.

Ryan

If you could i would add another 150lbs to that if possible. You would need about 1.5-2lbs per gal for good filtration. All of that don't need to be liverock you can go to hirocks.com and get some good base rock really cheap like maybe 60 or 80 lbs of it then add 60 or 80 lbs of lr and the base will become live in time.

Back
Top Bottom