Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2007, 06:33 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to boges_au2006
just wondering i have some dark colouring coming over my rock. what could this be?? would it be good or bad. its like a dark orangy browny colour.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:57 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

That could be an algae bloom or cyano. A pic will help to identify.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:07 PM   #13
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm guessing diatoms, but without a pic its hard to tell.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:14 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Here is some pics i took. they aint very good but they may help. think its the diatoms or watever u said maybe?? the first one is a pic of the rock that is turning colour the others i just wanted to show u to see what u thought of them and if they would come back to live??
there is a couple of live ones there too.

What is this white thing???

thanks again. also there is some little white like feather dusters on one rock. dunno if u can see em in the pics. but not sure what they are. only very small.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:22 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

anyone?
Old 03-19-2007, 10:25 PM   #16
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

Looks like diatoms. It should run its course and go away on its own with PWC and time. The white thing looks like it might be a spnge of some sort, but its hard to tell cause the pic is blurry. Those look like feather dusters. A lot of my LR came with small dusters on them. They are filter feeders so they will be fine without any special care, but they probably wont get much bigger.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:35 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM
Looks like diatoms. It should run its course and go away on its own with PWC and time. The white thing looks like it might be a spnge of some sort, but its hard to tell cause the pic is blurry. Those look like feather dusters. A lot of my LR came with small dusters on them. They are filter feeders so they will be fine without any special care, but they probably wont get much bigger.
Thanks JM
Yeah my local LFS said the same thing. They rekon one day it will be there and the next it will just be gone. They said to get some snails and crabs to perhaps assist with getting rid of it quicker. is this right??
im worried my lightning wrasse may eat the crabs though??

Yeha i thought it might have been something like that. sorry about the pic i have to learn to take better ones. will it get much bigger? it has only really come out since the lights have been on.
Aww i was hoping they would get bigger the feathers but doesn matter at least its life. i thought all that rock was dead.

So do u think most of the rock will become live over time?
Old 03-19-2007, 10:55 PM   #18
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

Snails might help a little, but when they say there one day gone the next they, its true. After i cycled my 120g i got a huge diatom bloom and then one day i noticed it dicipated and by the next day it was gone just like that.

If the white stuff came after you put the lights on it might not be sponge, because sponge likes shade so it might be something else. And the feather dusters stay small just because thats the kind they are. The big one you can buy are a different type. I have tons on my rocks and there is more all the time so they seem to multiply also.

I think if there is feather dusters on the rock that some of the life that was on it might not have died to begin with so it should be fine. I had a few pieces of rock that i left in a 10g tank with no filtration and no water changes for about a month. After evaperation the salitnity of the water was through the roof, but within a week of putting it in my new tank there were featherdusters coming out of existing tubes on the rock so nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to life on lr.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:04 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

OK then thanks heaps JM.

i am pretty sure the sponge thing u speak of came out with light but then again it might not have. im not entriely sure. as when i put lights on i was able to see a lot more and i have been studying the rock more closely. i did touch it on the weekend and it was soft like a sponge? and it is in a spot where it would not get direct light.

thats cool then. im getting most feather dusters from one rock i will see how the others go over time. however they are starting to get a bit of colour on them purplely pink stuff and white stuff. so we will se ehow it goes. im hoping it comes back. will save a bit of moeny. otherwise i will keep adding more live rock.

thanks agin.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:05 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

A diatom bloom is normal in a new tank. It will go away as your tank settles in and matures a bit. Your rock will become live over time yes!

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com