Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-08-2005, 03:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Live rock question from a 1st timer.

Hello all, I starting my very first reef tank,First time at saltwater for that matter and I have a live rock question.Fiji or Uaniva,I cant decide on which one... Keep in mind they are on differnt sites,I know Figi is popular but, has anyone seen or used Uaniva(WAN eve a) Live Rock? and there both at a good price uncured,3.99 and 3.75 per lb on different sites...

reefbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 05:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to ogden10
Basically it boils down to which you like. There is really no major difference, yeah maybe some have different hitchhikers and growth, but basically rock is rock. I don't know about others but all of my tanks have a mixture of types as I like they way they look. I think that to mix it up adds an interesting element to the tank. Hope you have a place set up to cure the rock. Regarding the hitchhikers and stuff, it really does not matter if it is not cured, as most of it will die anyway when you cure it.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
ogden10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 06:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Most people prefer "keys" rock due to its color
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
*If guns kill people...Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
It is a matter of preference. My suggestion is to check out www.liverocks.com for some of the best aqua-cultured LR around. THey Keys rock is considered top-shelf and very good rock.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Some types are more dense then others so in the end you may need to get more of it to get the aqua scape you want.

Like ogden 10 says using several kinds is s good way to go.
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 09:26 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
the other thing to look at is this... you may be looking at below 4 dollars a lb. but what are you going to have to do to the rock before you can put it in your tank...

clean it, cure it and then put it in totally dead.

I am with Lando, look at LR.com... they are a dollar or two more per lb. but typically have next to no die off, and it comes with tons of life.

75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
mykpoz is offline   Reply With Quote

live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com