Live Rock Question (rotten)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

illestj0rge23

Aquarium Advice Newbie
About 4 Months ago I aquired a large amount of live rock, however I only had a small tank at the time and was unable to use some of it. So I put the rock in a barrel with saltwater and some live sand, and completely forgot about it, now I have a bigger tank and need that extra rock, however some of the pieces (the ones on the bottom where the sand was) look weird, they are discolored and are somewhat light green in color, I think they may have rotted a little. So i was wondering if I put these pieces into a tank with plenty of light and new sand, will they heal? Would it be safe to use this rock in my new tank?

I would place them in a tub of fresh saltwater, powerhead and heater for a few days and test the water periodically. No doubt there is a good bit of dieoff and it may cause a spike if you just add it to your tank right away. I would also take a soft bristle brush and scrub it a bit and rinse it before adding it to the new tub of water.

Back
Top Bottom