Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-17-2004, 12:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Live rock questions.....

Okay. So I've heard and read that live rock does wonders for a sw tank's biological system. It's obviously beneficial to get some. But how many pounds do I need? I'm ready to start a 90g tank. And are different types of LR (better for the tank/ better looking in tank) ? How much should this cost me and where should I get it?

Also, I'm curious to see how you guys set up your tanks w/ the live rock in them. If anyone could spare the time, I would love to see some pictures of your tanks. Even if you don't have LR, I'm trying to get ideas on what get, and what kind of substrate sp? to get also. My e-mail address is onumz@yahoo.com or any links would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-17-2004, 12:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
1-1.5 lbs per gallon..
and www.liverocks.com is yoru best place...
Or since your in LA theres a guy in Chico or Chino.. I forget the one that close to you that sells it at GREAT prices...

Old 10-17-2004, 01:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Do you know the name of the guy/ fs ? address or # ?
Old 10-17-2004, 01:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Heineken!!

Well I'll try and answer your questions for you.

Liverock is very benefical to a tank for it's biological filtration being the most important. The general rule of thumb is 1-2 pounds of LR per gallon. So in your case you need at least 90-120, at best 180-200 pounds.

Alot of people perfer different typs of LR in their tanks. Some like Tonga Branch, Gulf, Fiji, or Key rocks. If they are like me they like a variety of different kind of LR in their tank for a greater diversity.

LR can be very expensive though. Probably the most expensive thing to buy for the tank. Rock can vary from $2.99 to $8.00 a pound. You can visit liverocks.com for more info on that.

Visit this link, it will take you to the photo gallery here on AA. The members here have great tanks. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photop...=542&password=

As far as substrate goes, you could either go CC or LS. Their are pros and cons to both IMO. The CC or LS will also help with filtration.

Were here for you, if you need more help!
Old 10-17-2004, 01:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the replies revhtree and firefighter. They were very helpful.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:20 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
I'll get the name of the guy when I get home.. I am stuck @ the station till tomorrow morning...
Old 10-17-2004, 01:34 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

http://www.oceanproaquatics.com/about.htm

That's the place that's in Chino and has great prices on live rock. I'm paying 4-500 for 80-100 lbs from LR (willingly for the quality) but if you can pick up LR from this place, that'd be awesome.

I'm in the process of setting up my tank and will have 80-100lbs of www.liverocks.com gulf & Keys rock in my 55AGA. The benefits of LR are that if you get enough you can cycle a new tank very quickly (anywhere from a day or less to a week or so, if you get fresh cured LR, I think). Also, it provide all the biological filtration you need if you have the 1-2# per gallon recommended.

Wheeeee.

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com