Live rock questions.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heineken

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay. So I've heard and read that live rock does wonders for a sw tank's biological system. It's obviously beneficial to get some. But how many pounds do I need? I'm ready to start a 90g tank. And are different types of LR (better for the tank/ better looking in tank) ? How much should this cost me and where should I get it?

Also, I'm curious to see how you guys set up your tanks w/ the live rock in them. If anyone could spare the time, I would love to see some pictures of your tanks. Even if you don't have LR, I'm trying to get ideas on what get, and what kind of substrate sp? to get also. My e-mail address is onumz@yahoo.com or any links would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Heineken!!

Well I'll try and answer your questions for you.

Liverock is very benefical to a tank for it's biological filtration being the most important. The general rule of thumb is 1-2 pounds of LR per gallon. So in your case you need at least 90-120, at best 180-200 pounds.

Alot of people perfer different typs of LR in their tanks. Some like Tonga Branch, Gulf, Fiji, or Key rocks. If they are like me they like a variety of different kind of LR in their tank for a greater diversity.

LR can be very expensive though. Probably the most expensive thing to buy for the tank. Rock can vary from $2.99 to $8.00 a pound. You can visit liverocks.com for more info on that.

Visit this link, it will take you to the photo gallery here on AA. The members here have great tanks. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=542&password=

As far as substrate goes, you could either go CC or LS. Their are pros and cons to both IMO. The CC or LS will also help with filtration.

Were here for you, if you need more help! :wink:

http://www.oceanproaquatics.com/about.htm

That's the place that's in Chino and has great prices on live rock. I'm paying 4-500 for 80-100 lbs from LR (willingly for the quality) but if you can pick up LR from this place, that'd be awesome.

I'm in the process of setting up my tank and will have 80-100lbs of www.liverocks.com gulf & Keys rock in my 55AGA. The benefits of LR are that if you get enough you can cycle a new tank very quickly (anywhere from a day or less to a week or so, if you get fresh cured LR, I think). Also, it provide all the biological filtration you need if you have the 1-2# per gallon recommended.

Wheeeee.

Back
Top Bottom