Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Live rock scaping

Has anyone had success with a specific style aquascaping with live rock? I have a 29 gal tank with 40 lbs of live rock.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know if there's a "specific style". It's really up to you how you want to scape your tank. Some like a sloped approach against the back of the tank, others like a more minimal look with only a few "mountains" and lots of swimming space. Feel free to experiment, break up the rock with a hammer\chisel and cut with a saw. It's really up to you.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is it necessary to support the live rock with wire or PVC pipes?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

No it's not necessary. Some folks like to epoxy the rocks together. Others drill holes and use rods (forget what kind) to attach the rocks together. Personally I don't bother with that. I like changing my rock around from time to time and using epoxy/rods won't make it any easier. My tank is still young. Maybe once my corals start to grow out some I'll think about epoxy.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree it is up to you. I use to constantly change mine and epoxy or rods would make it to heavy to lift and move around.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is it best to put the rock on top of the sand or below the sand? I have had a tank going for about 6 months, and have some zoos, GSP, Xenia it. Besides that I am new to the salty tanks.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I push mine down into the sand as far as it will go. If you have a pistol shrimp and goby they really dig a lot out from under the rocks. So make sure they are stable
Old 03-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Put the rocks below the sand when setting up the tank also you can put those plastic egg crate down first on the bottom then the rocks then the sand. Find the egg crates over ion the lighting section at lowes or home depot.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

What i did:

Dumped all the rock onto the carpet and tried to find some cool pieces that would be good natural caves. If tere was a rock i didnt like i just took a hammer and chisel and went to work.

Then i glued all of the pieces together in a way that i thought was kinda cool. Brought it upstairs. Then i filled the tank up with half of the sand i had, put in the rock structure, and added the other half of the sand. I think it turned out nicely
Old 03-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

That is a great idea. My tank is only a 29 gallon. It's been cooking for half a year now with only 10lbs of live rock and 3 inches of live sand. I just ordered 30 lbs of rock from reef cleaners. It is dry but the guys there claim it can go straight into an established system. I figure the other 10 lbs of rock in my tank should seed the rest. This will give me 40 lbs of rock.

As far as cables to connect multiple rocks can j use the plastic cable ties from home depot?

Tags
api, cap, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com