Live rock showing no life :/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xmikebrock

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I'm setting up my first reef tank, I've had fowlr tanks tho.. It wad my 1st time ordering my lr from premium aquatics and when I got it in it was great from what I could see, I bought 17 lbs of manado uncured for my 20g... Now I kind of had to rush when putting the rock in the tank because I screwed up the order date. But pretty much I used aragonite sand (dsb) and I forgot to rinse it 1st so silt was everywhere. The rocks still have a good amount of the sit on them. And the tank is almost just 100% cleared up now... The rocks been in there for 12 days now and there's no sign if any kind of life, could the silt have messed that up for me???

No all that I've added is the rock, but seeing that it's uncured, shouldn't that do the trick??

yes it should if it was uncured it would cycle your tank so you wouldnt need to add any ammonia

isn't cured rock supposed to have life already on it while uncured has die off? i've always thought that was the case

edit: just goolged it nevermind

if your worried about the silt on the rocks, have you tried removing the silt? I just used a turkey blaster and blew silt of the LR. When it started to get a bit cloudy, i would stop and restart again when it cleared up

I'm not really worried, just concerned that I'm not seeing anything going on. Life wise in the tank

most of the stuff growing on the LR would be microscopic level so you probably won't see much =P. This is where people become impatient and mess up by not allowing the cycle to finish. Don't fall into the temptation :D

To actually see if there are any worms or anything try putting a little food in the tank, bristle worms and brittle stars will be a couple of things that should have made the trip fine.

Alright. I was just concerned. Because in the past I've cured my own and now that I've bought it everyone was saying how I should be seeing things going on

Alright. I was just concerned. Because in the past I've cured my own and now that I've bought it everyone was saying how I should be seeing things going on

Back
Top Bottom