Live rock, to cook, or not to cook.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darylva

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I am currently taking apart my 55 gal reef tank that has completely crashed, due to a number of reasons. Anyways, I have about 140 lbs of live rock that currently is sporting a nice crop of green bubble algea. I want to take all the rock and put it in storage 'till I can get the money for my 150 gal. Will just giving the rock a good cold freshwater bath get rid of the algea? I have tried boiling some of the rock, and while it does indeed get rid of the algea, it seems to be a bigger undertaking than what I thought. Most of the rock is about 6" x 4" or close to that, while several of the base rocks are much larger. Any suggestions, experiences, or other comments are welcome. Thanks,
Daryl

If you are going to store it, just leave it out where it will be safe to dry and then use a brush to scrub off the algea. Depending on how long it is in storage, I would think the algea would die off or get scrubbed away.

If you want to keep the rock live, cook it....and I don't mean boil it. Cooking live rock is placing it in saltwater in a dark, unlit container with a heater and ph for a good 6-8 weeks. Do pwc's about every week or so.
If you want to kill the rock and everything on/in it, just let it dry out.

melosu58, I live in Saltville. A small town in SW VA not far from TN line. I have friends and relatives that live in the Richmond area in Petersburg and Hopewell.

A suburburb of richmond here. 1/2 hour from petersburg. If your in area write and stop by and look at the tank.

Back
Top Bottom