live rock turning brown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PiscesLou

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got 40 lbs LR from LFS about a week and a half ago. When I first got it,the LR had a touch of purple, green and yellow on the rocks. Then it turned white in some places on the rocks. Now it is slowly turning brown. Is this normal? my phosphates are 0 . nitrates 20ppm I use RO/DI water also.

Have you tested for ammonia and nitrite? If you added LR to the system, it is likey that you've caused a cycle to take place. It is pretty normal that the LR won't look too good until things settle down.

Sounds like Diatoms... It will go away once the your cycle is complete.

PiscesLou said:
should I brush it off?

I would just leave it. I know is looks unsightly, but in a few weeks it will be gone. BTW are you running a skimmer?

You dont have to point the powerheads directly at the rocks just as long as you have good circulation. Let the green algea take place. The live rock you bought was probibly not cured. If it gets out of hand and the green algea starts growing on the glass and on the sand add some snails and some dwarf blue leg hermits will clean off some of the die off from the LR. 10 of each should do the trick plus you can keep them afterwards they will keep your tank squeeky clean.

Back
Top Bottom