Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2008, 02:20 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

i dont think i wrote anything about alk in a thread. i havent tested for that.? all my levels for ammonia, nitrIte, nitrate and ph all seem fine. does anyone think a WC is needed?

Old 08-15-2008, 02:26 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulabulla View Post
i dont think i wrote anything about alk in a thread. i havent tested for that.? all my levels for ammonia, nitrIte, nitrate and ph all seem fine. does anyone think a WC is needed?
Sorry... I was talking to Fierro Nights about the alkalinity.

My mantra in this hobby is "If in doubt, a water change will NEVER hurt anything!" I don't use macros, so I can't really help you. But I think that when certain macros go "asexual" (reproduce) they turn white.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:46 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

hello there guy w/ the macro that is turning white, is it grape macro algae? i just got some too and some of its turning white, do not put this stuff in your tank. if its in your tank already, then get some water in a bucket, and very very carefully remove the macro algae from the tank, try not to move it much, be slow and cautious as the white part of the algae is mushy and will fall apart making your tank cloudy, im just starting to filter it all out after a day, put the macro in the bucket and shake it really good, this will remove all of the dead white macro.

if your putting it in a fuge, do not turn off the lights in the fuge, i placed my macro in a 1 gallon tank w/ the light on 24/7 in salt water from my tank untill my sump/fuge arrives in the mail, i had gotten some iron supplement and my macro turned from light green to a dark forest green and is firm, no longer soft, i have it in a dish right now, but youll have to plant it so that it will grow roots, id recomend placing it on a rock so that moving it later will be easy and trimming it will be easy, so you will cut the right ends w/out worring which end to cut if your macro is currently in a tangled ball,

if its in a ball, its best to untangle it under water.

and about the purple up, my tank seems to be loosing water faster since its addition. just an observation. my tank filter didnt make much noise but now im adding more and more water everyday to prevent the slashing noise at night.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:47 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

yes, the macro needs a light cycle to reproduce, night and day, thats why i dont turn off the light in the tank i have the macro in.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:45 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

well its macro algea i have i think but i have turned the lights off and opened the hood to cool the tank, its at 83F and the plant is turning greenish again. could it be to hot? i cant get my tank to get cooler, what can i do?
(its a 14 gal oceanic biocube)

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com