Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-30-2004, 03:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Live Rock turning white???!!!?

its been about 3 weeks since i've been cycling with live rock. i have an 80gal tank with 65lbs of LR... these rocks had quit a bit of coralline on them and now the rock is starting to turn white. there are white spots starting to spread and the coralline alogia is fading into white... is this normal?? also there seems to be a lot of dark green long algea like hair. all over them.

i have 220w of lighting

all specs of tank meet a cycling tank still such as ammonia of 1 etc but the only thing is a ph of 7.8, i haven't done any water changes and my skimmer has been going crazy.

whats causing this is my rock "dieing"?

please help

popothemailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 03:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Dieoff is normal with uncured live rock. With ammonia of 1 or so, you are still early in your cycle so die off should be expected. It will come back over time. You do need to adjust your PH tho' 7.8 is a little low.

indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 03:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via MSN to frogiii
imo lr turning white is not a good sign. I just set up my system and got a lot of help from this site. You might want to look at my post and see. My previous tank experience wasn't good and my lr die off turning white. The way you have described your lr, it seems the rock wasn't cure and had not been scrbbed good (hairy algae etc.) You should do what i've done, take out the rock and scrub it with saltmix water(scrubb very good mud die off etc.) and do a water change about 40%. My rocks are turning nice pulple color now and it's been 2weeks
76 gal bow front coner tank. 55lbs live rock 70lbs of live sand 75 gal wet/dry with bio and skimmer filter.
frogiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 04:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Like Indy says normal..... The hair algae is someting you need to get control of after the cycle is over. What kind of water are you using?
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 06:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
pretty normal. If it starts happening after the rock is cured then you need to worry.

I had the same problem myself with "bleaching" rock. I eventually added calcium and that seems to hold it off.

also, it is possible that your spaghetti worms are spitting out sand all over your rock and giving it a "bleached" appearence. You need to run your powerhead over your rock to blow off some of that sand every once in a while.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote

live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com