Live Rock under substrate OK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capncavey

Aquarium Advice Activist
So will LR still be beneficial if 1/2 of it is under substrate?
I have deep sand bed and not a lot of space.

Yes it will it gives the bacti that converts nitrAtes (the name escapes me) to nitrogen gas a place to grow

Awesome thanks, now I will be able to get the last 10lbs LR in tank.

I don't think you will get as good a benefit as exposing all the rock to water flow. I think you are basicly wasteing 1/2 of your live rock. I also think there are better ways to control nitrates than a Deep Sand Bed(DSB).

Capncavey said:
So will LR still be beneficial if 1/2 of it is under substrate?
I have deep sand bed and not a lot of space.

How deep is this sand bed? And how many lbs live rock? Sand shouldnt be able to actually cover 50% of your rock.

But to answer. The rock will still maintain its beneficial bacteria however it will do the job better of converting ammonia of the rock is subjected to flow. So you may need more live rock, depending.

I have about 4" deep of seachem gray coast. I had 15lbs with maybe 4 to 5 lbs of it covered. Going to get more tomorrow.
I really like the jawfish and want to make good home for him when I finally have tank cycled.
I want to have enough LR for benefit of tank, but tank is for corals and fish not rock lol.

Capncavey said:
I have about 4" deep of seachem gray coast. I had 15lbs with maybe 4 to 5 lbs of it covered. Going to get more tomorrow.
I really like the jawfish and want to make good home for him when I finally have tank cycled.
I want to have enough LR for benefit of tank, but tank is for corals and fish not rock lol.

well your going to want roughly 30lbs. Even more possibly if your planning a high bioload. Tank might not be for the rock but the rock is needed for the tank;)

Back
Top Bottom