Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Live Rock vs. Baserock

Hello all...just got started on this site. Ive read some of the other posts to help in buying equipment to start up a 55 gal reef. I had a freshwater tank for 4 years but reef are mcuh cooler!

Ive bought most of the equipment, ie lighting, filter, protein pump etc...and am starting to look at the LR.

Question: I know the conversion is something like 1.3-1.7lbs LR/gal....so for my 55 id need about 75 lbs of LR. Should i buy 75 lbs of straight LR or should i buy like 30 lbs of the baserock and 45 lbs of LR???

I soo confused and assume that its 75lbs LR....just worried about the dead spots i keep reading about.

Anyone have good success with any distributors of LR from out east?? (Im in Agawam MA home of Six Flags New England ) It seems like all of the sites i found online are out west haha

I appreciate any comments and help!

Mike

Old 02-15-2006, 02:47 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I would normally recomment liverocks.com but they are temporaly out of live rock due to the bad weather in the gulf last year as well as something called a 'red tide' that did a big number on their crop. I belive the red tide and the huricanes of last season affected nearly all of the east cost collectors. tampabaysaltwater.com is another big east coast collector and they may have had some collection spots taht where not lost.

The ratio of dry rock to live rock is really up to you. For a 55 gal tank I would shoot for 75-100 lbs of rock. Florida rock which is what you would get from the east coast is more dense than fiji rock and therefor you will need more lbs to get the same look as fiji rock.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
liveaquaria or marinedepotlive.com check out their sides they have some good lr
Old 02-15-2006, 06:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I also wanted to point out that whether you buy all 75lbs of LR or start out with 45lbs of LR and then put in 30lbs of base rock is really dependent on our wallet size. In other words, how much do you want to spend? If you don't mind getting some base rock it will become LR over time when it is in a system with LR. Its just takes longer. Eventually the coralline algae and tiny little critters from the LR migrate down to the base rock and turn it into LR.

Many people do this to save money. Especially on tanks larger than 55 gallons.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

thanks Biggen....exactly the kind of answer i needed. That clears up my confusion. and thanks to all who responded....im going to look at those sights to find the best.

"Tanks" alot!
Mike
Old 02-16-2006, 03:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

No problem. Good luck!

Tags
base, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com