Live Rock vs Dry Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fmjets11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A couple of questions because I have seen mixed opinions everywhere.

When FIRST starting your setup, is there any real benifit in getting 50 lbs of "Live Rock" as compared to 50 lbs of "Dry" Rock.

Also

Same thing with sand, is there any benefit from going with "Live Sand" as opposed to just Sand.

New Tank Details:
Fluval 406
Coralife 125 Protein Skimmer
Aquaclear 70
200w Jager Thermometer

I am leaning more towards live rock from affordable aquatics and Carib Sea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand - 40 lb but I am on the fence on dry/live rock. I am in no hurry to have the system up and running in a week. I just want to make sure I have everything I need and let the tank cycle and let everything settle in before I start adding fish.

The two I am between are:

One from MacroRocks - Dry Rock
http://www.marcorocks.com/50poundboxkeylargorockfreeshippinginthecontinentalus.aspx

or
Affordable Aquatics Fiji Live Rock
http://www.affordableaquatic.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=112_113&products_id=1505

Both are nearly Identical in price.

Any help is appreciated as you can see I am a newbie here ;).

That depends on what you are looking for. Once you cycle your tank, both the rock and sand will be "live" as cycling is establishing the bacteria needed to turn ammonia and nitrite into nitrates. Some people love dry rock, as there will be no bad hitchhikers, while others like live rock because of those hitchhikers. I myself like caribbean LR and won't use anything else in my tanks just for how it looks compared to other rocks. It is personal preference.

As for the sand, similar statement. You can use pool filter sand to save yourself some money.

Thanks for the response. I wish there was a cut/dry answer with this but unfortunatly I dont think there is.

I agree wit Sniperhank. There is really no right or wrong. Most bad hitchhikers in live rock can be dealt with, but sometimes you get some really cool stuff. With dry, you know there is no chance of anything bad coming along, but is usually not as established looking. It's personal preference in the end.

It comes down to opinion and the look you are going for. In all reality, I would get the base/macro rock. I really like how my rock looks, but I'm getting disgruntled with some of the algae that has started to grow that my fish won't consume. If you want to avoid this, just go macro rock.

Awesome thanks for the advice. I will have to wait until next paycheck either way so I have a little bit more time to think.

Back
Top Bottom