Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-06-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Live Rock with Shrimp Cycle

Hey Everyone -
First I wanted to say thanks! I've been reading various posts over the last several weeks and it's certainly helped me become acclimated to this new hobby.

I'm in the process of cycling my 120 gallon with some raw fish. Amonia is at 3, and the tank is really starting to stink. I have 100 lbs. of Marco Rocks in the tank as I didn't have the cash to buy a ton of live rock right now. My plan was to add around 40 lbs of live from my local fish store.

Should I add the live rock now or wait until the cycle finishes with the shrimp? I was planning on holding off but based on some of the posts I've read I think I should probably add it now so I don't have another cycle, yet I don't want to kill anything on the live rock with my amonia being so high.

awetzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Unless you want to add fully cured live rock, or cure it yourself in a separate tank, you need to add it now to avoid another cycle.

You can always control the amount of ammonia during your cycle by doing water changes. It *may* prolong the cycle, but you're in ultimate control when it comes to how high of ammonia you want to allow.

Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree or you could buy the LR a piece at a time (if uncured) and add it to the tank after the cycle. The beneficial bacteria should be able to take care of the die-off, but have some spare pre mixed PWC ready....
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to match55 Send a message via MSN to match55 Send a message via Yahoo to match55
if u can, just buy all the rocks you can and put them in to cycle, since even the LFS said it cured, you never know.
if you can't get the rock all at once, then follow roka's suggestion.

if you wanna save $$$, I would go for not uncured LR and let them cured+cycle now in your tank.
Thanks to AMD, HN1, Zero, partypalooza, thincat, and thominil who helped me in almost every questions. Thanks everyone!!!!!
46gal Reef
match55 is offline   Reply With Quote

cycle, live, live rock, rim, rock, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com