Live sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollabill420

Aquarium Advice Freak
There's no way it could really be alive trapped in a bag for sometimes months, should I just rinse it in regular water and not care and let the natural cycle take place for a couple months doseing with ammonia up to 4ppm then when cycled keep at 1ppm to keep it alive, mite just use regular white sand if I can find it, I know it's illegal is most places to take sand from the beach or in the water but would it work if was rinsed really good? I'm not gonna actually do it was just wondering, substrate isn't expense enough to waste the time really I'd grab a jewel tang first lol, any advice is welcome thanks in advance

there will be die off in the sand, let it die and use that as the ammonia source. but it is pretty live

Gti_Leo said:
there will be die off in the sand, let it die and use that as the ammonia source. but it is pretty live

Should it be rinsed like you do for a freshwater? I assume rinse with saltwater but they seem pretty tough thou

IMO I would just rinse with tap water and let sit for a few days to dry, just use it like dry sand.

IME live sand does nothing for a cycle

Just to add as little tap water to your tank as possible is all, you can skip that part if you want

Back
Top Bottom