Live Sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newlevelomni

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We're setting up a new 60 GAL FOWLR tank, and want to use sand as our substrate. Would you recommend using live sand, or getting playground sand?

If playground sand - what's a good brand to use, and any suggestions on who carries it? (PS - We're located in SoCal)

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to AA
I read all the stuff aboul playsand like roka64 suggested but I couldn't find any so I went with CaribSea. I wish I could have found the playsand thou.

Pool filter sand tends to work better than playground sound imo, cheap to, like $5 for 50 lbs.

edit:
works better than PLAYGROUND sand. Sorry lol.

Welcome,

Another So Cal-er..... :D

In my 75 that I am gearing to to get, i wl going to be using a combo live sand and Caribsea sand to get the best of both worlds.

Good luck

John

Do you guys think the caribsea "live sand" is really live? I understand that it doesn't need rinsing so that would be a plus I guess.

I really don't know if it's still "live" or not. I've heard people saying that it's not due to the fact that it's been in the bag for who-knows-how-long. I would get some argonite (sp?) sand and add a handful of live sand (ask the LFS for the sand in their coral tanks) to seed the argonite.

Thanks all for the tips/suggestions :)

Does Pool Filter Sand really work ?????

We bought the last 4 bags of Quikrete Playground Sand ... but we haven't done anything with it yet - because we don't know if its the right stuff.

It says on it that its been strained, etc - but I can't find the silica content on the bag.

Any ideas?

Well to let you in on my experience...

Quikrete play sand does fizz and have some aragonite in it... regular play in other container does not.. its silica like the pool filter sand.

I used Quikrete All-Purpose sand.. $3 for 160 lbs... everything was okay for a bit.. then tons of algae problems. There is no telling whats in that sand... traces of tar.. etc...

I would go with caribsea or oldcastle etc sand.. make sure its caribbean tropical play sand on the package.

only problem we have with the OldCastle sand, is we can't find it anywhere :p Anyone have any ideas where to get it in SoCal ?

Do you guys think the caribsea "live sand" is really live?

I highly doubt it. I would just get the dry stuff.

Anyone have any ideas where to get it in SoCal ?

Unfortunately for you, if I remember correctly, that brand tends to be regional to the Mid-Atlantic to the Northeast. You may want to check your Regional Forums here:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewforum.php?f=47
and see if any have had sucess in your area...

Back
Top Bottom