Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The only thing in the tank is the gravel. The lights are Coralife 50/50. 6000k actinic 03
F20 T12 BP. I'm still undecided what I'm going to keep in the tank but eventually I want a reef tank.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:52 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

You can buy these books the reef aquarium volume 3, the new marine aquarium, saltwater aquarium for dummies, animal planet saltwater aquarium. Research plan slow decide what fish want to keep and if u want corals inverts go to amazon for books on corals can't remember name. One thing a bout canister filter for a reef it has to be cleaned once a week can cause nitrate problem so do a sump good luck.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:08 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Throwing my vote in to ditch the gravel, air stone, and hob filter. Frankly, I probably wouldn't use the canister either but that's just me. I'm a big fan of the Berlin method using sand, rock, and a skimmer for filtration. With a 120, you should be able to stick a huge sump beneath it to hide heater, skimmer, etc., and it would make a great refugium for a remote deep sand bed and macro algae. Oh... I drool for a 120 with at least a 55 gallon sump...
Liveaquaria also has some good articles on setting up. Or browse the forum to read about the process some of our own members have gone through. Maybe even learn from our mistakes! And above all, enjoy!!!
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ok... Finally scooped out the gravel and saved some of the sand. The whole time I felt like going back to that store and yelling at that girl for telling me it was ok to mix the two. Now, back to square one. I guess it wouldn't be a true saltwater experience if I didn't make a few mistakes.

Tags
gravel, live, live sand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com