Live Sand HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChiTownRomeo

Aquarium Advice Freak
HELP!!! I just filled my beautiful 46 Gallon Bow Front aquarium with crystal clear salt water and added some Carib Sea Ocean Direct sand and OMG made the tank look like crap!! After 3 days the water went from brown to a very very cloudy color. I have been running 2 aqua clear 50's to try and hp but no help. I turned off the pumps thinking the sand would settle but no. Also its this very very thick foam at the top of the water that came from adding the sand. Out of frustration of this live sand I siphoned all the water out but left enough to cover the sand. and cleaned the side and top of the tank to remove all the foam. Now i see this milky colored film on top of the sand which gets kicked up very easy. Should I fill the tank back up or just rinse the sand and use a biological additive to make the sand live again. I never had this problem with freshwater lol. Help please!!!
banghead%20-%20Copy.gif

I stated in your other thread why it is cloudy. Since you havent cycled yet, rinse the sand really well. It will still cloud up when you fill it and take some time to settle, but it will get sticky as you cycle and be less likely to do that. Point your powerheads towards the surface to make sure they arent kicking up sand.

I have used the Carib sea sand and another brand called live ocean. The Carib sea kicked up a ton more junk and was cloudy for days. We did several large water changes and finally were able to get the tank clear. I'll only use the oceans direct from now on after that mess. Good luck!

i used carib sea live sand in my corner tank, and inside the bag is a small packet of clarifier. I used that and let it run, it was clear within a couple of days.

Used that packet too, and it was gross. I have since broken down that tank to use as qt. currently running a 180g fowlr and 54g corner reef all with live ocean. Was cloudy for a few hours when initially placed in tank, nothing since. Just my opinion, but I'll never try to cut corners with it again.

why was it gross? since that tank has cleared its been crystal clear ever since, has a few damsels in it

Texture of the sand was inconsistent and not at all what I was looking for. Very fine particles mixed with chunks. I found it very cheap. It's just my opinion, as I know Carib sea is a huge mfg and sells a whole lot of sand. We had that brown foam *** well, and all in all it was more hassle than beauty.

oh yea i see what you mean. I dont like the fine texture of sand either, so my 75 gallon i put aragonite in that one, it's a little coarser, which is what I was looking for. the corner tank I covered the sand with crushed coral

Didn't want to offend, but it created a mess for us. The brand we use now, is much, much better.

Only in it 3 years, but this forum is a wealth of info. I wanted the reef, hubby wants big show fish. He has the 180 in the living room and I have my reef in the bedroom. Win win.

OK after 2 canisters with polishing pads running 11 hours and still cloudy with this thick foam on the top, I decided to empty the tank and just rinse the sand over and over. This sand is bad. Has big chunks of rocks, shells and other stuff. Then again it is carib sand direct. I'll just get some live sand to seed it or some Seachem Stability or Dr. Tims One and only for good bacteria. Oh yea word of advice....stay away from hydor theo heaters. 2 and they both didn't work. Well 1 worked and one wouldn't shut off. I'm having a rough start at the salty tanks....

It took a few days for it to clear for me. 11 hours may not be enough times to allow it to settle.

Good luck with the sand!! Try the Jaeger heaters, they have been spot on for us. Also, for the bacteria, you can just get some of the live rock from the Lfs. They will multiply quickly. Good luck. Patience is key with sw.

Back
Top Bottom