Live sand question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KcTx

Aquarium Advice Activist
I heard someone say there was a certain way that I needed to add new sand to my tank? I currently have 40lbs in my 54gal and I was going to add another 20lbs to the main display. I have everything broke down at the moment to have the back of the tank drilled so my rock Is in a drum & the sand is in another aquarium. I was just going to mix everything together once I put it back into main tank? Would that be the correct way to add it?

Thanks.

Kc

I would personally put them into a large container, and rinse, rinse and rerinse the old sand. Rinse it until the water runs clear. After you have rinsed the old sand, mix it with your new sand, and add it all to the system.

Sand can really trap waste, and since you already have good live rock, I think its better to have pristine, clean sand than live sand.

If you rinse in fresh water i will kill all the bacteria, worms and about anything else that is alive in the sand that was in your tank. I found just dump the sand in a pail a little at a time then take it out most of the crud will be in the water. Make sure you use gloves and things so you don't end up having a close encounter with a bristleworm or something else as nasty. I am getting ready to upgrade to a larger tank so I will need to add more sand and that is the way I found worked the best for me.

If you rinse in fresh water i will kill all the bacteria, worms and about anything else that is alive in the sand that was in your tank. I found just dump the sand in a pail a little at a time then take it out most of the crud will be in the water. Make sure you use gloves and things so you don't end up having a close encounter with a bristleworm or something else as nasty. I am getting ready to upgrade to a larger tank so I will need to add more sand and that is the way I found worked the best for me.

thats a good way to do it, might take a while but you'll be able to get it done right

Back
Top Bottom