Live sand question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hiltymj

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I was talking to a co worker today and he was telling me about a love sand you can buy online that is guaranteed to have all sorts of different eggs in it from different crabs and shrimps and what not. Now I know it's risky but i do really want to try it and see what happens. Problem is I have no clue where to find it.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?? Please and thank you!!

Ha that's the plan but I'm just really interested and I was wondering if anyone else has had any experiences with it.

I've never heard of such a thing. You can buy "live" sand from your local pet store which supposedly contains live bacteria. Thats as close as you can get I think. and it's questionable whether that sand has anything "live" in it. Regular sand is your best bet in my opinion.

If it is garfs grunge I have heard mixed reviews.

I've read mixed reviews , they're are ( from what I've read ) three distributors . Some people says it's ugly and does nothing while others say it adds lots of pods and worms / creatures . Google it and see what you get . There's also YouTube videos on it .

Thye sell "live" sand but it has no creatures in it. I have used live sand from time to time and it has no discernible benefit in my opinion.

Sand doesnt create pods or creatures, just gives them a home. Live sand is supposed to have the beneficial bacteria you need to cycle a tank. Thats it's claim to fame and thats it.

Ok ya I figured i wasn't going to find anything like that. Thank you!

If there is such sand that has "live eggs" in it...y would anybody want to put something in their tank without knowing exactly what it is? You would not know what type of crabs, worms etc are in it. I would save your money and buy dry aragonite sand. Simple Cheep and you know what you are putting in.

Right I completely agree but I still thought it could be cool to do in a basic tank and see what you get

hiltymj said:
Right I completely agree but I still thought it could be cool to do in a basic tank and see what you get

I could see that. Kinda like a kids project or something.

I've read mixed reviews , they're are ( from what I've read ) three distributors . Some people says it's ugly and does nothing while others say it adds lots of pods and worms / creatures . Google it and see what you get . There's also YouTube videos on it .
a can of mud that sits on a shelf in the LFS for who knows how long has nothing live in it- trust me. the idea is, the creatures that you already have, will like to reproduce in the mud more than any other substrate. it's not true though. you see U tube videos of what? 2 identical tanks, one with mud and one without, and someone documenting that pods are growing in the empty tank that has the mud (and no live rock or sand)?

people that are telling you the mud is doing wonders either are selling it, or don't know any better.

Back
Top Bottom