Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2004, 01:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to aquafreak Send a message via MSN to aquafreak Send a message via Yahoo to aquafreak
Live Sand Required

This Marine aquarium gig is totally rad!

I've decided for my finances and sanity to go FO. Do I need "live" sand in with a new aquarium or can I just buy regular sand, filter it, and use 1 fish to start the Nitrogen Cycle? Also, I have a 50 gallon aquarium. How many pounds of sand is enough? Would you use layers of different types?

Thanks!

Old 10-21-2004, 01:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
To figure how much sand you want here is a calculator
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/calcs_new.php
As for depth, that is personal preference. If a DSB is desired, target at least 3-4 ".
If not, shoot for about 1".
You do not need live sand to start. If you are getting LR, it will seed it anyway.
Please don't use live animals to cycle. LR or a cocktail shrimp will do the job. It is very stressful on fish and is no longer recommended by most.

Old 10-21-2004, 01:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to aquafreak Send a message via MSN to aquafreak Send a message via Yahoo to aquafreak
Thank you for your help! I was about ready to give up on the entire idea but I think I can do this I'll use fiddler crabs to cycle it if I can't find shrimp. I won't use live fish then.

Is there a special way to mix salt water? I thought of mixing it in a large container and then adding it to the aquarium (Instant Ocean). Is that all there is to it? Stupid question but no one seems to know the answer.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
that would work well. just put a powerhead in the container and let it run for like 24 hrs to make sure everythign is well mixed before adding it to the tank.

cocktail shrimp isnt too hard to find, they sell it at every grocery store ive ever been to.. if you cant find it, just use a chunk of fresh fish from the seafood monger.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

okay, will do. thanks!
Old 10-21-2004, 08:59 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
use aragonite sand, not regular sand. it will help with your pH

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 11:00 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks, I will do this. Would layering it starting from a base of thinker crushed coral then a finer sand Aragonite work best?
Old 10-21-2004, 11:21 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
IMO, I would just use the aragonite sand. Its better for the sand stirring critters.

Tags
live, live sand, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com